Portuguese from Brazil, Portugal or both?

Tradução portuguesa
Cristiano

Portuguese from Brazil, Portugal or both?

Post by Cristiano »

Folks,

Whats the target language, based on site statistics, for Portuguese? Portuguese from Portugal or from Brasil?
Maybe we can split to satisfy both publics. Is there any major demographic difference or are both contries equally represented?

Thanks in advance,

Cristiano
Phelan

Re: Portuguese from Brazil, Portugal or both?

Post by Phelan »

I believe that it is possible to use word choices that work well with both dialects, so I've been trying to do so.

However, there have been a lot of changes to the translation that use only Brazilian Portuguese.

I would appreciate a word from the developers, to know if my efforts are in vain.
Een

Post by Een »

Hello,

As we don't speak Portuguese, we have no strong opinion about this.
If it is possible to have only one translation by choosing neutral words, I think it would be better as it would minimize the translation effort by enabling more people to contribute to only one translation (and keeping things simple).
But if you think that it should be split, we can make it so.

For information, I took a look at recent statistics and for now there is three to five times as many users from Brazil as there is from Portugal.
There is a risk if we split that one of the translation won't be maintained.

Een
luisgc

Post by luisgc »

I think it would be better, as BGA grows, if brazilian and portuguese "dialects" would be offered.
The Boss was my first experience with translation, and I feel some translations I suggested sound more natural for brazilian players than Phelan's corrections, since words that are of common use in a country and not in the other, to minor grammatical differences (ex.: 'until the end' = 'até o fim' (br) or 'até ao fim' (pt)).
luisgc

Post by luisgc »

The differences between Brazil and Portugal language are visible mostly in the "Main Site" area. The language used in the site as a whole, while understandable, is not a natural one to a brazilian native. I fear that, if the number of portuguese speaking users grow, a "validation war" begins.
Phelan

Post by Phelan »

Even if it is not natural, is it understandable?
I realize that some of the corresponding words in our dialects are pretty different, but I feel that some are understood internationally, even if not used locally, and could be used.
I also don't want validation wars, that wouldn't improve the translation.

I wouldn't mind having them separate, and I'm somewhat committed to the translation effort(as you've likely seen :P), but I'm not as responsive as the larger translator pool from Brasil(I don't think there are other people from Portugal translating. If there are, give me a heads up!). If we could get a consensus, that would be the best.

luisgc, please start a thread with all instances you find that don't work in brasilian portuguese. Maybe we can find good alternatives.
luisgc

Post by luisgc »

Phelan, I've been concentrated on the unvalidated translations, as changes in validated ones would be more complicated (and there are some thousands of them to read!), I think. But I'm taking notes of phrases I think could be translated differently while I navigate on BGA (and even asking my 13yo daughter about her understanding and "feeling" on some phrases).
I'll be back to this issue (if I see it is worth the effort). :?
Phelan

Post by Phelan »

Thanks! :)
Phelan

Post by Phelan »

This is now being discussed again, in a bug report: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=29867
And in a recent thread here: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=18757
raonipires

Post by raonipires »

Por que em um "post" sobre português se fala em inglês? Mesmo quando se direciona aos moderadores.

Deveríamos primeiro chegar a um consenso em tópico para brasileiros e portugueses para só depois acionar os administradores.

Return to “Portuguese - pt”