Deathmatch for 2 Player

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
nandblock

Deathmatch for 2 Player

Post by nandblock »

Figured I'd inaugurate the Tash-Kalar forum....

I'm pretty good at 2-player High Form, which is my preferred form of the game, and at 3- and 4-player Deathmatch--I like trying to figure out how to play one player off another (if you do it right, they smash each other's pieces and you get points merely from the resulting flares). But I find 2-player rather unfathomable--it's really easy for it become pointless to continue playing, because the ground you make up from a flare just isn't enough to offset the free point to your opponent. Every so often you can make an amazing comeback but that seems rare.

Any tips/thoughts?
a_mandible

Re: Deathmatch for 2 Player

Post by a_mandible »

I'm not great at 2p Deathmatch, but I realized at some point that I was tending to shy away from flaring too much because I wanted it to Be Worth It, i.e. to gain me MORE points than it cost me. When in reality, given the choice between playing a flare and getting 2 points, or not playing it and getting 1 point (which are the same in terms of relative score vs. opponent) I should probably always choose to flare, because it improves board position.

At the same time, when you're really down in piece power, it gets harder and harder for your opponent to score except with legends. You have more power over your opponent's piece placement than you do when losing High Form; you can, potentially, make them come to you if they want points, and force them to overextend while you wait to draw your bombs.

OTOH, I went through my notes looking for example games where I think that worked, and most of the notes say "wow, once I started to slip that game was hopeless!". So it's not like I disagree with you. :) But here's a fun one I found:

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamerev ... e=13590109
nandblock

Re: Deathmatch for 2 Player

Post by nandblock »

That's indeed a good game! Rare, in my experience, whereas I usually find a high percentage of High Form games have some interesting features or drama.

Return to “Tash-Kalar”