Takenoko variants

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Faedur

Takenoko variants

Post by Faedur »

Hello,

I would suggest some variants for the original Takenoko game in order to make it more or less strategic.
Feel free to comment and/or to add suggestions. I hope BGA could improve some of them.

- First, we have to consider that on BGA we play actually the advanced variant.
This one prevents a player from drawing an objective card already completed on the board game (plots and farmer objectives only) and makes the player draw again.
In the standard original game, if a player draw so, he/she achieve his/her objective and earn points consequently.
This prevention is described as an "advanced players rule" in the book.

- Second: irrigation system improved.
This variant makes a player pick 2 irrigation channel instead of 1.
Irrigate plots takes long and makes objectives hard to achieve, though the action to put it on the board is free.

- Third: pandas also need to pooh.
This variant limits the number of bamboo sections in panda's belly of each player.
At the end of a player turn, if there are more than 3 (or 4 or 5?) bamboo section on his/her board, he/she must choose to discard some to keep maximum 3 (or 4 or 5).
Regarding that panda objectives need maxi 3 bamboo sections, this prevent players from cumulating.

- Fourth: versatility required.
In this variant, a player cannot complete more than 3 objectives of the same category. He/She can have picked more but would not be able to complete more. A card in hand of the maxed category could be discarded if hand size limit reached.
That forces players to play on different fronts.

Thanks, kind regards.
Faedur

Re: Takenoko variants

Post by Faedur »

This topic only refers to Takenoko rules variants.
For more discussions about the game, see https://fr.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... =9&t=10993
Cullich

Re: Takenoko variants

Post by Cullich »

Well, it appears the other threads about variants are all locked..

So... in the three times I have played this, we have all been confused on objective cards running out, and we spent a ton of time this evening trying to figure this out. I finally discovered that the "advanced variant" is implemented here, though that is not at all obvious. After looking through the rules on here, I did finally find where it says what the rule is, but does not refer to it as an advanced variant. So there's nothing drawing attention to this fact. It's just sort of hiding.

So it's difficult to find that. Plus, for anyone who already knows the rules, noting the variant is being used should be way more obvious.

I would also agree with another post I found where someone thought we should have an option for that, and have the basic rules available. Someone else said it's too random even with that variant in place, let alone the basic rules. But that should be for the players to decide - anyone who doesn't want to play that way wouldn't have to. And it might be easier for beginners as well.

Return to “Takenoko”