Game Improvements

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
januszk0

Re: Game Improvements

Post by januszk0 »

The phrase should be improved, which is displayed in point 6 below the board in Turn sequence:
from
„CONSTRUCT CUBE (uses 2 actions) - only 1 cube per planet - the total of your ships in orbital positions must exactly equal planet number."
on
„CONSTRUCT CUBE (uses 2 actions) - only 1 cube per planet - the total of your ships in orbital positions must exactly equal planet number. However, if the ONLY available space on the entire map is on a planet where you already have a cube, then you can place multiple cubes there. (Consistent with BGG interpretation quantum entanglement occurs)."
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

januszk0 wrote:The phrase should be improved, which is displayed in point 6 below the board in Turn sequence:
from
„CONSTRUCT CUBE (uses 2 actions) - only 1 cube per planet - the total of your ships in orbital positions must exactly equal planet number."
on
„CONSTRUCT CUBE (uses 2 actions) - only 1 cube per planet - the total of your ships in orbital positions must exactly equal planet number. However, if the ONLY available space on the entire map is on a planet where you already have a cube, then you can place multiple cubes there. (Consistent with BGG interpretation quantum entanglement occurs)."
I'm not a big fan of that explanation, because it's a bit ambiguous for my taste. Took out my physical copy of Quantum and checked what the rule book says for it. In the F.A.Q. section it says:
But if it is your ONLY option, then you can place more than one of your cubes on the same planet. For the construct action, add 3 to the planet number for each of your cubes that are already on the planet.
So I used that instead. I also added:
Check 'Quantum Entanglement' section in 'How to play?' to learn more.
And updated the How to play? section to include Quantum Entanglement explanation. Pretty much reused Eric Zimmerman post from BGG for it.
TheRealWVMan

Post by TheRealWVMan »

So the other day I was playing Quantum IRL with some new to me players. One of them wanted to use Relocation to move a cube from a two cube planet to a one cube planet. I said "Oh no. You can't do that. The planets need to be that same size." But looking at the card, it doesn't really say that. Not to worry, I was sure it must be in the rule book. After all that's the way it's been working on the arena for years. 8-) However, a careful examination of the rule book found no such rule! :shock: It looks to me like a cube should be able to be moved between planets irregardless of planet sizes. Check it out in case we are over looking some obscure text. But I think this is probably something that should be fixed.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

TheRealWVMan wrote:So the other day I was playing Quantum IRL with some new to me players. One of them wanted to use Relocation to move a cube from a two cube planet to a one cube planet. I said "Oh no. You can't do that. The planets need to be that same size." But looking at the card, it doesn't really say that. Not to worry, I was sure it must be in the rule book. After all that's the way it's been working on the arena for years. 8-) However, a careful examination of the rule book found no such rule! :shock: It looks to me like a cube should be able to be moved between planets irregardless of planet sizes. Check it out in case we are over looking some obscure text. But I think this is probably something that should be fixed.
I have 2 physical copies of Quantum, but only one with me. The one I do have is the 'Revised Edition'. Says so on the back of the box.

And you're correct, that card does say:
RELOCATION
IMMEDIATELY MOVE A QUANTUM CUBE
Move another player's quantum cube to a planet without one of their cubes.
https://imgur.com/a/CYRsmoC

If you have a chance, would be wonderful if you confirmed what edition you guys were playing as well. Photos of both RELOCATION and CURIOUS side by side should help confirm it easily ;)

I've talked about that change with pikiou in the past. Essentially, it's not great that CURIOUS has been updated to follow the Revised Edition, but RELOCATION has been left behind. RELOCATION change was never mentioned by Eric Zimmerman (game designer) in his summary of changes, however seems like the new editions do have the changed RELOCATION, which does change the game mechanics significantly.

However, for now, I'll put it under the "Things that I feel like I can't change without changing how BGA works" category. I feel like it's in a similar category as the ambiguity of Scrappy with Reconfigure. I agree it's more important than that, however I would prefer to give the players the option to change the behavior of those cards before starting games than just changing it.
januszk0

Post by januszk0 »

Good job.
I still have a request. In „Table Configuration" you can choose „Map and cube count". This map names are translated but are displayed there in English.
Additionally, during the game, the name of the selected map is also displayed in English. These names, however, are not available in translation.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

januszk0 wrote:Good job.
I still have a request. In „Table Configuration" you can choose „Map and cube count". This map names are translated but are displayed there in English.
Additionally, during the game, the name of the selected map is also displayed in English. These names, however, are not available in translation.
Added to the list of things to look into. Not sure whether I'll be able to do anything about it, but I'll take a look.
Jakee

Post by Jakee »

I think it would be nice if there were a confirmation on resourceful it is an irreversible action.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

Jakee wrote:I think it would be nice if there were a confirmation on resourceful it is an irreversible action.
There's still quite a few of irreversible actions without confirmation screens. Resourceful being one of them. Others being, end turn button, card choice, Tyrannical when you reach 6 dominance (not sure about this one) etc.

If somebody was willing to compile a list and start a discussion about all of them - that'd be great.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

By the way, if there is someone who finds particular confirmation screens annoying (or certain ones) - we can also look into adding the option to easily disable them.
galehar

Post by galehar »

For relocation my copy (french edition), says that the destination planet has to be equal or smaller. I don't really remember when it was changed, but I'm pretty sure that it is the correct (latest) version.
For the missing maps (Gordian Knot and Event horizon), pikiou told me that they were too big to fit. Basically, to fit them in the BGA constraints, he would have needed to reduce the graphics and he was not happy with that. He'd rather have an incomplete version than one with smaller graphics. Maybe BGA constraints have evolved since then? Or there is a way to reach a better compromise?
Regarding Scrappy, I'm the one whom filled the original bug, and I also contributed to the BGG discussion thread. I don't understand how this could be misinterpreted. Reconfigure guarantees a different result and rerolls don't. This was a bug, and apparently it hasn't been fixed. Having this as an option sounds like a terrible idea to me. It would be confusing, and it's really an edge case.
Automatic rerolls sounds wonderful. In theory, it is possible that a defeat might be a desirable outcome, but I have never played a game where that was the case (in about 400 games). So I think it would be perfectly fine to automatically and always reroll defeats, it doesn't really have to be configurable.
What I'd like to have for tables is a bit more flexibility for map choices. Choosing min and max number of dice would be really nice. Most good players play on 6 and 7 cube maps. Usually they choose random 6 or random 7 or they choose one map. For tournament especially, being able to set it to any 6 or 7 map would be cool.

Return to “Quantum”