Hosting whilst not playing.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
-Origamian-

Hosting whilst not playing.

Post by -Origamian- »

I work with children in a classroom setting and I would like to host a game but not play (so I can also show on a big screen so that those who are not playing can see what is going on). Is this possible .
asd123321

Re: Hosting whilst not playing.

Post by asd123321 »

You can watch games going played you are not in.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamepan ... inprogress

You could initiate a game but quit before it started after some players arrived and hope they start they game.
-Origamian-

Post by -Origamian- »

I want to use in a classroom setting but don't want to quit thus having negative impact on my karma. I just want to host a table that others can join.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

If you leave the table during set-up, you won't take a penalty, then you can rejoin as a spectator.

Are the students playing from their own PCs/mobile devices, or will they be sharing a device?
-Origamian-

Post by -Origamian- »

Students will be playing from their own devices. I wish to 'televise' the game they play on a screen from my computer so that non players can watch the game play. I wish to use multiplayer games such as solo, 6 nimpt and sabatuer as these encourage group participation (up to 10-12 players) to maximise inclusion.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

That sounds like a great activity. :D

So the process would be thus:

Start hosting the game, and set all the options, including restricting who can join (so only your students can join - probably should make a 'group' for this).

Open the table to players (or invite them manually).

Allow at least one of the students to join the game.

Press the 'Quit Game' button. You will still be on the page for the game, but you will no longer be a player.

Wait for the students to all join. One of them will have to press the 'start game' button.

Once the game has begun, you'll see a button that will allow you to spectate the game. This will show you the game, but not from the point of view of any particular player, so you won't be able to see anyone's hand, for example.

Let us know how it goes! ;D
-Origamian-

Post by -Origamian- »

thanks, that was really informative, will try it out.
xkitox

Post by xkitox »

Hi! Sorry to bring this back up, but I'm looking at doing this EXACT same thing. Did this work for you?
Rafi B

Post by Rafi B »

Same followup question - did this work for you in the classroom setting?
wombat929

Post by wombat929 »

I tried this and could not get it to work, but I was trying to do it on Carcassone, which is a premium game, so perhaps that's the problem?

Return to “Solo”