Can't choose duration of game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
molaid

Can't choose duration of game

Post by molaid »

now the game ends just after 1 round
a bit weird imaging love letter is played in 1 round only.. :shock:
quietmint

Re: Can't choose duration of game

Post by quietmint »

This is working as designed. It was removed on purpose. BGA system really doesn't support multiple games within one game. Unlike Love Letter, in Coup, there's no provision in the rules for multiple rounds. It was just something I added.

Both of these problems were pointed out in the BGA bug report system:

There's no good way to handle player elimination for multiple rounds. If you lose the first round, I can't actually eliminate you (and release you to play another game) because there's no way to bring you back for round 2. Since the prior option was choosing a number of wins, the total number of rounds was variable (min: wins, max: 1 + players * (wins - 1)).

There's no good way to handle ELO scoring for multiple rounds. Should 4 wins/9 rounds count the same ELO as 1 win/1 round? The game designer insisted we follow the tagline "there is no second place" so we can't award anything other than full points (one "winner" and all others "loser") at game end.
molaid

Re: Can't choose duration of game

Post by molaid »

quietmint wrote:This is working as designed. It was removed on purpose. BGA system really doesn't support multiple games within one game. Unlike Love Letter, in Coup, there's no provision in the rules for multiple rounds. It was just something I added.

Both of these problems were pointed out in the BGA bug report system:

There's no good way to handle player elimination for multiple rounds. If you lose the first round, I can't actually eliminate you (and release you to play another game) because there's no way to bring you back for round 2. Since the prior option was choosing a number of wins, the total number of rounds was variable (min: wins, max: 1 + players * (wins - 1)).

There's no good way to handle ELO scoring for multiple rounds. Should 4 wins/9 rounds count the same ELO as 1 win/1 round? The game designer insisted we follow the tagline "there is no second place" so we can't award anything other than full points (one "winner" and all others "loser") at game end.
Thanks for replying.

Yeah I mean number of wins can't be chosen now, butI think it makes the game more hopeful for players with bad hands at start and the duration won't be too short.

If there is more than 1round, let eliminated players wait until the round ends, then they can play again in the next round, just like Love Letter. And it could be same elo gain for different duration chosen, just like how other games that can choose duration work on BGA (briscola, Jelly monster lab, and maybe TTA, etc).

Is it possible to make 'winner takes all'? For example, 3wins is chosen. Game end right after a player gets 3points, and other players have 2,1,0 points respectively, but end game ELO counts their score as 1,0,0,0? So losers are all ranked second.

The english rulebook uploaded on BGA has only 1page and include not many info, so I'm not sure if it strictly disallows players to raise number of wins really needed to 'win'.

still like your game though there is no more 3wins option anymore :D

Return to “Coup”