Playing with original card set only?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
tabicat

Playing with original card set only?

Post by tabicat »

I can't seem to find the option to play with only the original 8 card types (e.g. no Baroness, Jester, etc). Is this not an option? It seems like it would be easy to restrict the table to a subset of cards.
CB Droege

Re: Playing with original card set only?

Post by CB Droege »

This game will automatically set up depending on player number. If you have 2-4 players, you get the original cards only. If you have 5-8 players, you get the expansion also.
tabicat

Post by tabicat »

Thanks. Is that documented anywhere?
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

It may have been mentioned in the announcement for the expansion?
Baron Frog

Post by Baron Frog »

It would be great if there more configurable options. We just played 4p and wished we could change the victory criterion to 3 wins, or even 2, for a shorter game. As it was we had a blast, but it went the full 13 rounds, for which we might not have had time, so would be good to be able to configure more options.

Thanks
Andy
nimogoham

Post by nimogoham »

Not being able to play with the standard set with 5 players is really unfortunate. I just wanted to introduce the game to some friends, but starting with the expansion immediately is too complex in the beginning.
voriki

Post by voriki »

Baron Frog wrote: 11 August 2020, 23:03 It would be great if there more configurable options. We just played 4p and wished we could change the victory criterion to 3 wins, or even 2, for a shorter game. As it was we had a blast, but it went the full 13 rounds, for which we might not have had time, so would be good to be able to configure more options.

Thanks
Andy
+1
I would like it too if it were possible to configure some details that do not impact the gameplay itself(so just scoring and fixed sets of cards).
I would love it even more of we were to be able to add to the card sets that we already know now, basic and Premium, that we can play the Z-Man games 2019 version, and even crazier, if Lovecraft mechanics and Infinity Gauntlet mechanics can be added. Or if we can chooses themes(Batman, …) or Adventure Time which has 2 extra rules. Ofcourse the license need to permit that too.

nimogoham wrote: 30 October 2020, 21:21 Not being able to play with the standard set with 5 players is really unfortunate. I just wanted to introduce the game to some friends, but starting with the expansion immediately is too complex in the beginning.
Do you really have to introduce it to 4 other people at once? Playing the base game with 5 players is not balanced as you'll constantly have deck-outs.
tabicat

Post by tabicat »

Before the deluxe version was released, most people combined two decks and just increased the number of some cards. I wish I could play with this variant since I don't like any of the new cards.
voriki

Post by voriki »

tabicat wrote: 15 November 2020, 04:52 Before the deluxe version was released, most people combined two decks and just increased the number of some cards. I wish I could play with this variant since I don't like any of the new cards.
Well, those would be house rules, not official rules. And games here follow official rules.

Maybe some house rules have been implemented for some games(I only played a handful of different games here), but then they would be very broadly used. Combining 2 decks sadly does not fall in that category.
sl_basilisk

Post by sl_basilisk »

I also wondered about the version where you combine two decks. Doesn't it count as an official variant? It is mentioned with the name "Big Love Letter Variant" on the website of the german publisher Pegasus Spiele.

https://pegasusshop.de/Sortiment/Spiele ... ohlen-2014

then click on Downloads and then on "Big Love Letter Variante". Then you get an additional rule page where rules for combining two decks are mentioned including how often you use which cards for which number of players. The rule further says that Big Love Letter ends after 8 rounds.

Return to “Love Letter”