Joker rules apply - what does it mean?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
tap-zbyna

Joker rules apply - what does it mean?

Post by tap-zbyna »

Hi,

a message "joker rules apply" occured in the log when an opponent rerolled 3 dice and got 4-4-4 combination (which gave him five fours btw.).

What does it mean? I haven´t found it anywhere.

Thanks.
Last edited by tap-zbyna on 07 February 2019, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Liallan

Re: Joker rules aply - what does it mean?

Post by Liallan »

I've never heard of that. When I originally learned this game, another Yahtzee was a 100 point bonus that the game here never had. I had to do a search for this joker thing. It's essentially meaning getting another space "for free" even though the roll doesn't qualify - but there's different versions of it. I don't recall ever playing this way.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

These are part of the changes with the bug fixes. They were announced to the Yahtzee Players group
tap-zbyna

Post by tap-zbyna »

Liallan wrote:I've never heard of that. When I originally learned this game, another Yahtzee was a 100 point bonus that the game here never had. I had to do a search for this joker thing. It's essentially meaning getting another space "for free" even though the roll doesn't qualify - but there's different versions of it. I don't recall ever playing this way.
ok, I´ve heard of this, but he did not get any bonus in that game.

And if it is like this - a bonus for rolling another yathzee - I find it a bit of nonsense. Why give a player award for rolling something he did not intend? This is a pure luck thing, nothing to give award for. And 100 points? It is a sure winner. Like it is not enough to get 45 points for a small straight (should be like 30 at best, since it is much easier to get than large straight).
Een

Post by Een »

Jest Phulin wrote:These are part of the changes with the bug fixes. They were announced to the Yahtzee Players group
It seems like they were not seen by everyone, so I'll repost them here for reference :)

First announcement on the players group:
Dear Yahtzee players,
Thanks to bug hunter A-dam, the two most voted bugs for Yahtzee have been fixed!
_ Scoring an extra Yahtzee as a bonus & joker rules are now implemented.
_ Sometimes not being able to make the last scoring has been fixed.
Enjoy!
For further information, Joker rules are described here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahtzee#Y ... oker_rules

Second announcement:
Dear Yahtzee players,
Thanks to A-dam, two other issues have been fixed in the Yahtzee implementation!
- The confusion about Rigole between Yahtzee and Yam's is now fixed for new games! Yahtzee is now really Yahtzee! (and of course nothing changes for Yam's)
- The selection for dice to reroll has been slightly changed with a cross sign so that it's easier for new players to understand that the dice they select are the ones that will be re-rolled and not the ones that will be kept. Which is kind of important ;)
Enjoy!
Thanks again to A-dam!
Een

Post by Een »

tap-zbyna wrote: And if it is like this - a bonus for rolling another yathzee - I find it a bit of nonsense. Why give a player award for rolling something he did not intend? This is a pure luck thing, nothing to give award for. And 100 points? It is a sure winner. Like it is not enough to get 45 points for a small straight (should be like 30 at best, since it is much easier to get than large straight).
You are mixing up Yahtzee and Yams.
In Yahtzee, Small Straight is 30 points indeed. And bonus for another Yahtzee doesn't apply to Yams.
So you won't have bonus for another Yahtzee and 45 points for small straight together in the same game :)
tap-zbyna

Post by tap-zbyna »

Een wrote: You are mixing up Yahtzee and Yams.
In Yahtzee, Small Straight is 30 points indeed. And bonus for another Yahtzee doesn't apply to Yams.
So you won't have bonus for another Yahtzee and 45 points for small straight together in the same game :)
My mistake, I should have metioned this - It happend in Yams, not Yahtzee.

And 100 points in original Yahtzee? Around 200 points is usually enough to win a game and you get 100 points for pure luck? Even more insane...
Caffe Latte

Re: Joker rules apply - what does it mean?

Post by Caffe Latte »

I sometimes play Yahtzee (it is not among the games I want to play now) and had not even the smallest clue about these changes. There was never any announcement made (for me). Noticed only after reading this forum.
A-dam

Post by A-dam »

tap-zbyna wrote:
Een wrote: You are mixing up Yahtzee and Yams.
My mistake, I should have metioned this - It happend in Yams, not Yahtzee.
I looked at your game (https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamerev ... e=48461515) and indeed in the log appeared "joker rules aplly" It is surely not right and it was corrected. But it just appered in the log with no other consequence to the game.. Yams are not affected by the latest update
tap-zbyna wrote: And 100 points in original Yahtzee? Around 200 points is usually enough to win a game and you get 100 points for pure luck? Even more insane...
Well, those are the official rules of the game, so I think this is not the right place to complain about it :D

Look at those really old rules https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9255 ... rca1967pdf (1967) it is really there ;)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

tap-zbyna wrote:And 100 points in original Yahtzee? Around 200 points is usually enough to win a game and you get 100 points for pure luck? Even more insane...
Around 200 points is "usually" enough to win? I'm wondering who you are playing. I just went through all my games. The average winning score is 270.

But that aside, I do see your point that 100 points is a lot relative to those scores. (Keeping in mind that that is games here using a different set of rules. Over the years of playing f2f with the bonus rule in place, I've had plenty of games score in the 300's.) However, you only get this bonus if you already got a Yahtzee. I also never played that you got both that bonus and got to score something else as a joker. My current rules (2005) don't really seem to imply that both are scored - if you already put a 0 in the Yahtzee, then you score in the top section (which seems logical, since that's what you got), or if that's filled, choose from the lower section. It doesn't seem to imply you do that either way.

I would also not call this "pure luck." Part of the game is making choices of what to re-roll and what to go for. A second Yahtzee adds a legitimate option to go for.

Return to “Yahtzee”