Does BGA support fake champions ?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Pistolero

Does BGA support fake champions ?

Post by Pistolero » 14 May 2019, 15:47

I'd like to understand how it is possible that the players MatPtr and aspenn17, who are currently first and second best players at 7 Wonders, can still appear in the competition chart ?

When you go to their profile, you can see they've been offline for, respectively, 42 and 20 days.

Is it really what a champion is ? Someone who hits the top and then vanishes forever? I bet they just abandoned their account and started playing with a new one. It this what BGA supports ?

If I ever have the chance to be first player, I will keep playing with ELO active, and not do as so many players do.

RicardoRix

Re: Does BGA support fake champions ?

Post by RicardoRix » 14 May 2019, 16:28

Their leader board place will disappear after 60 days. People are allowed to take a break.
Just to reiterate, ELO ranking is a measure of your ability, not the frequency of play. People able to gain such high ELO rankings on such a popular game I would describe as anything but 'fake'.

You can still gain ELO points just as easily by playing lower ranked opponents, that's how it works - unless your true ranking is actually very much different to your actual ranking.

There is some new BGA ranking system in the making which will be seasonal, apparently.

vigorousRoll

Post by vigorousRoll » 14 May 2019, 18:08

I glanced at your profile page and saw that you are in 3rd place. I have to say that I admire your competitive spirit. Take that drive and add a healthy dose of patience to it and you will be in 1st place before you know it.

Pistolero

Post by Pistolero » 14 May 2019, 18:54

I assured you it's completely possible to reach 500 points in 7W, provided you play only 3 or 4 players game.
I don't think they are fake accounts, just they are not playing to avoid losing.
I don't agree with the "take a break" since when you reach that top level, it means you're an addict to the game :)

But seasonal ELO ranking looks promising :)

RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix » 14 May 2019, 19:18

There are lots of people who come and go, some of them are proper pros:

https://boardgamearena.com/#!player?id= ... n=prestige
https://boardgamearena.com/#!player?id= ... n=prestige

poichich

Post by poichich » 14 May 2019, 20:11

Elo ranking is a ranking. The competition is about ranking. So it shouldn't be allowed on fast game to keep the top to avoid loosing by playing 1 time every 2 months.
People are allowed to take a break. Who said the contrary ??? They take a break they are out of competition ... Like in every sports or other competition area IRL. Those who are competitors understand this points.

Pistolero

Post by Pistolero » 14 May 2019, 21:29

I think ELO should just be banished for most games, to be replaced by a more dynamic ranking that penalizes long period of non playing.

And if you reach Top 5, then you receive a PERMANENT badge that says that once in your life, you made it to the top 5 for that particular games.

This way, top players can keep their badges, and also keep playing in competitive mode.

The ranking will reflect good players at the moment. And that's what you want, being compared to good players of the moment. Michael Jordan will never face Lebron James, both were top players of their epoch.

Pistolero

Post by Pistolero » 14 May 2019, 21:43

It's funny, your second link points to a player who plays almost all the time versus <200 ELO players.

It's like as if the best chess player in the world is only the best player because he defeated thousands of beginners and medium range players.

ELO is so broken ....

sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert » 14 May 2019, 22:14

Please open 1 thread per subject thanks.

Here is your original thread (i'm closing this one)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13618

Return to “Discussions”