- my skill didn't change that much (if at all) and
- my opponents gain more/less ELO by playing against me depending on wether they play me after a good/bad streak - which is not fair to them because my skill (and therefore the difficulty to beat me) is the same for them no matter when they play me
Compare to how it's done on this site (no board-games but it doesn't matter): https://www.croco-puzzle.com/Raetselspa ... /index.php
--> click any name to show their rank-graph
Black line: shows rating from day-to-day
Green line: shows mean over black line in last 50 days
Red line: shows mean over black line in last 200 days
ELO on BGA right now is very similar to the Black line
But I think it would be great to show the player's level similar to the red line
How to do it
- Calculate "daily-ELO" as-is (same formula).
- In Addition calculate "real-ELO" as mean over daily-ELO after the last 100 games (or another amount - maybe depending on number of games played by the player)
- After a game, compare my "daily-ELO" with my opponents "real-ELO" to calculate my new "daily-ELO"
- and compare THEIR "daily-ELO" with my "real-ELO" to calculate their new "daily-ELO"
- for most purposes show "real-ELO" (on profile-page, on game-tables before joining,...). In statistics show both (i.e. on calculation after the game show what you gained in "daily-ELO" - "real-ELO" is not gonna change much anyway (which is good)
- Fair ELO-change to the opponent (depends on real strength and not on a random previous win/loss-streak)
- Almost impossible to reach an unrealistic maximum point by a lucky random walk.
- Not much point in settleing on a good ELO because a single game doesn't change that much.
- More complicate for the site (and to implement) and maybe confusing for new players
- Needs a bunch of games to settle while not yet around real strength. (Maybe it would be good to exclude first ~100 games from real-ELO-calculation or take fewer games into account until you're somewhat settled around a realistic value)
I know there are other threads about ranking and leaderboard. This is about ELO as a measurement of skill - no matter when you played. Please don't write about ranking-list here. I think those should be separated (i.e. RANK could be calculated by ELO modified by recent activity or so but that's not what this thread is about)