"Handbook" vs "Complete" game version?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
SerBaldur

"Handbook" vs "Complete" game version?

Post by SerBaldur »

this is one of the game setup options and i can't find anywhere where it is defined. Searching for handbook on the internet only brings back link to the game's handbook.

If "handbook" is the intro game and "complete" is the standard game, then i suggest renaming handbook to something else. Also, "handbook" is the default, and i would imagine almost everyone wants to play complete except the very first time. A lot of handbook games are being set up.
cream

Re: "Handbook" vs "Complete" game version?

Post by cream »

Try to check the 'how to play?' button, and then rule session. There are two rule book and one is called 'handbook' and another is 'code of law'(which is the full game) I guess
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

I agree that handbook should not be the default. "Simple" is the default for the original game, and almost every time I started a game, I had to abandon and restart because it was a simple game... :O
Serilo

Post by Serilo »

New players will usually start with the default. If the default is not the learning version they might get problems...

However, Handbook is not really a good learning version; the tactics are very different from the real version.
PierreMZI

Post by PierreMZI »

OK, let the simple version as the default choice, but at least rename it from "Handbook" to "Simple".
Perhaps it could prevents some mistakes from a veteran player who's looking for a full rules game.
yoyoyo2020

Post by yoyoyo2020 »

I guess someone decide to pluck the name off the official "Handbook-Your First Game" name...
JanBxl

Post by JanBxl »

Agreed that handbook is a confusing name - actually, the handbook includes both rulesets (full game rules come at the end of the handbook). We set up expecting the full game and found out in Age two this will be the last age. Not too bad, we'll quickly finish this one and soon start a new "real" one, but still confusing (and annoying our high-production low-culture player)
Joe_bloe101

Post by Joe_bloe101 »

I agree with all previous posts... maybe add in brackets (last round at end age of age 2 as opposed to 3) At least something that clearly differentiates the 2 modes.
The_Show_Me_Guy

Post by The_Show_Me_Guy »

So this is many months later to necro this thread, but only because I just searched to find out what "handbook" game mode is. So they still have not fixed this to make it more clear.
CanuckEddie

Post by CanuckEddie »

I'm in a game now that has the option "First Round", which is clearly more than the first round...is that what this is called now? This is a game that will end at the end of Age 2?

Return to “Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization”