Variant suggestions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
eoc

Variant suggestions

Post by eoc »

Personally I would like more variation in table setup. Is there any realistic way the following might happen?
  • allowing Viewing yaku but only score them if you also form another yaku (so you cannot end a month with two cards on their own)
  • making "dealer privilege" optional (if disabled, nobody gets points in case of a tie or if both players are dealt lucky hands)
  • limiting the amount of possible (soft) Koi-Koi calls per hand (either always to 1 or only to 1 if the starting multiplier was higher than 1) – you may continue but the multiplier won't increase after the limit
LightKnight

Re: Variant suggestions

Post by LightKnight »

I oppose the last one. Koiing is already counterbalanced by the growing risk of your opponent making it, or just you running out of cards, plus the fact that if they win, they will get the hand.
It seems to me that players are misslead in taking Koi Koi in the same way as a non luck based game. Koi Koi is, and that means you don't prove yourself over a single match, you do over your overall stats in the long run. Sometimes one gets lucky and collects yakus in one turn, but in the long run this mere luck won't suffice. And even in the matter of one game, choosing the good cards to prepare the best yakus, to cumulate ones, and also determining whether to koi or not, calculating risks, that all is really talent (experience, thinking) based.
One of the main features in Koi Koi is the can't stop like one, the risk or secure, and losing it would render the game both a bit more limited, and actually more luck-based.
Then ofc, you do what you want, and if you want to play with such optional modes, up to you. I just say I don't like their spirit (kind of what they implicitely tell of the game) and I thus won't wait for them to be implemented.

I'm neutral over the other two propositions.
shrouded figure

Post by shrouded figure »

I would like to see a variant that does not use the "starting bright cards" multiplier. Players could make similar yakus throughout the game but someone loses just because they only manage to score their yakus at x1 while their opponent scores at x3. In the first place, I do not even comprehend why this multiplier is necessary, whearas multipliers from koi-koi or yaku>7 actually relies on some skill.
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

There's so many houserules for this game!

I would rather like to try the 4players hawaian version :D

Return to “Koi-koi”