Problem about determining Exclusive story in Penny Press

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
iliz sera

Problem about determining Exclusive story in Penny Press

Post by iliz sera »

Hello everyone,

Today I want to tell you that I found out a mistake in determining Exclusive story in Penny Press, which I believe that it has a great affection in calculating points. This doesn't only happen in a game, since I noticed that the mistake here happened time after time, but yet anyone write it here, so I'll make it.

Here is one clear example about it: https://boardgamearena.com/archive/repl ... s=84112575;#. (my game with 3 other players). You can replay it to see through.

As far as I understand (and after checking carefully the rules): the Top News Beats are all stories whose arrows pointed to the highest numerical value. They are all required to put on the top row (as many as possible, in case a player has all top news beats, he may choose to put anywhere he want). Otherwise, for all non-top news beat, he can choose one (if possible) as an Exclusive story, by attempting to reach it on the top row. The Exclusive story will double its score.

Now let's find out the problem.

In move 42, OakBlade is going to print the news. However, there is no news determined as Top News Beat, though with a 3-point and a 4-point new, clearly the 4-point is the Top News. As a result, the 4-point is determined here as an Exclusive Story, and his score is 4x2+3=11, while it should have been 4+3x2=10. So OakBlade has 1 point more than actual.

Again, in move 58, when triggering the final edition, pagan_momma has 2 news, 1 3-point and 1 5-point news, no news here is the Top News Beat. Another glitch happens when the 5-point news (which should have been the Top News) doesn't touch the top row, and the 3-point news is doubled (seems weird). The score here may not change as there is another way to arrange with 5-point news as the Top News and 3-point as the Exclusive story and doubled its value, but still weird.

Next, in move 64, OakBlade has a 5-point and a 4-point news, and again, no news is the Top News Beat. The 5-point news is again mistakenly determined as the Exclusive story and his score is increasing again. It should have been 5+4x2=13, instead of 5x2+4=14.

Finally, in move 72, the glitch happens to me. I have 3 news, one 5-point and two 4-point. Again, there is no Top News Beat, and the 5-point is wrongly declared as the Exclusive one. My score here would have been only 5+4x2+4=17, instead of 5x2+4+4=18.

In the end, the actual score should have been 57-40-34-26, instead of 58-42-34-26. OakBlade made a 2-point profit, while I also made an 1-point profit. Here, the final standing would not change if the score is adjusted, but, imagine a game with very close result. The glitch here would surely made an impact!

Therefore, I hope that BGA, and especially the game developer, A-dam, have a look again about this glitch and quickly solve it. After all we want a nice game but correct way to calculate points so that everyone is satisfied.

Thanks so much!

iliz sera.
A-dam

Re: Problem about determining Exclusive story in Penny Press

Post by A-dam »

Hi iliz,

I went throug the game log and I didnt see any problems out there, more specifically:

42: Crime(3) and Politics(4) cannot be top news because New York is pointing to value 5
58: Crime(3) and War(5) cannot be top news because New York is pointing to value 6
next moves are the same because game end was triggerred in that move, New York will remain only top news beat till the end

Maybe you had some other problem with visualization, always try hit F5 if you have suspicion that something is wrong, maybe something went wrong with update your current game situation (could be problem on your browser).

Anyway, the game behaves exactly like it should be, hope it is clear

Adam
iliz sera

Post by iliz sera »

Thank you A-dam for the reply. Really sorry that I mistakenly understood that whenever a player publishes the news, he must have at least 1 news considered as Top News Beat. I checked again the rule to see that only the highest numerical value column will be Top News, otherwise no. So a player may have Top News Beat or not.

This makes my day and I feel that there will be no more problem. Thanks again, and hope that no one made the same mistake like me. :D

iliz sera
A-dam

Post by A-dam »

No problem at all,

the truth is, this part of the the rules is not mayabe so well explained, it makes a lot of confusion to lot of players..

Anyway, as you are number one player in this game here on BGA, it looks it is not necessary to know the rules perfectly :D

Return to “Penny Press”