Expire a tile?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Skacom

Expire a tile?

Post by Skacom »

Hi Need help at Kingdomino: how can I get rid of my not placed Stone? I dont want to place it onto my board? Wanna expire it! Thanks for your help, Best Skacom
CB Droege

Re: Expire a tile?

Post by CB Droege »

If you can place it, you must. You only discard tiles if there is no legal move for them.
Zadrow

Post by Zadrow »

But that is a mistake. In the game you have the option of not to place a tile
Zelytic

Post by Zelytic »

The rules state that if you can place a tile, you must.

From the section on Kingdom Building: "Dominoes cannot be discarded if they can be placed in a kingdom using the above rules."
DerFelix

Post by DerFelix »

Wow, that's very interesting! The German rules explicitly allow to discard a tile.
They read:
"Lege den mit deinem König besetzten Dominostein an einen Stein
deiner Wahl in deinem Königreich an (Anlegeregeln beachten!).
Du darfst auf das Legen des Steins verzichten."
The translation of this is:
place the the tile, that has your king on top, on your field next to a tile of your choice in your Kingdom (mind the placing rules).
You may forego (or refrain from) placing a tile.
Zmiter

Post by Zmiter »

Zadrow wrote: 12 March 2020, 21:44 But that is a mistake. In the game you have the option of not to place a tile
Каким образом скидывать плитку, если не хочешь ставить плитку
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

It's a source of frequent amusement to see the house rules people have been using that really completely change the game. Not just in Kingdomino, but other games, too.

Another example: some friends misread the Pandemic rules and thought you must ERADICATE all diseases, not just cure them. That's a totally different game.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Meeplelowda wrote: 17 December 2021, 22:12 It's a source of frequent amusement to see the house rules people have been using that really completely change the game. Not just in Kingdomino, but other games, too.
I wouldn't call it "house rules" when there are different sets of rules in different rulebooks. I have the german version too and I can confirm it is explicitly allowed to not place a tile even if you can. Only in section "variants" there is mentioned that the author SUGGESTS, you play the VARIANT to be forced to play if you can.
Does anybody know which language is the original rulebook and how it is there?
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

Silene wrote: 18 December 2021, 12:17 I wouldn't call it "house rules" when there are different sets of rules in different rulebooks. I have the german version too and I can confirm it is explicitly allowed to not place a tile even if you can. Only in section "variants" there is mentioned that the author SUGGESTS, you play the VARIANT to be forced to play if you can.
Does anybody know which language is the original rulebook and how it is there?
I bought a (new) physical copy of the game five weeks ago. The rulebook has English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, and Russian. I speak two of those languages fluently, and can read and understand another one well and two to some extent. I don't think that any of those five languages unambiguously answers the question, but I think that they do imply that you must place if you can, in the first paragraph of the section on the end of the game. E.g. the English says
(Some kingdoms may not be complete if a player was forced to discard any dominoes - see above).
There are other important differences with the PDF of the rules that's linked from the BGA page too. In particular, the PDF says that for the first round,
To determine the order in which players will select their first domino, one player takes all 4 king meeples in their hand and pulls them out one at a time. The first king meeple to be pulled indicates which player can select first etc… Players select their first domino in this order, placing their king meeple on a domino to claim it.
But the English part of the physical rulebook says
For the starting turn only, one player takes all the kings in their hand. Then one at a time, players randomly select a king from the hand, and places (sic) that king on a domino tile of their choice. (It may not be your own colored (sic) king this time around).
(The second (sic) is because the Englishness of the rules is marked with the flag of the UK, so it's inconsistent to use American spelling).

PS I've just noticed that the PDF uses the US flag to mark the English rules. Maybe Blue Orange think that people on different sides of the Atlantic will want different things from the same game, so they have variant rules for the American market.
Silene

Post by Silene »

pjt33 wrote: 18 December 2021, 13:27 I bought a (new) physical copy of the game five weeks ago. The rulebook has English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, and Russian. I speak two of those languages fluently, and can read and understand another one well and two to some extent. I don't think that any of those five languages unambiguously answers the question, but I think that they do imply that you must place if you can, in the first paragraph of the section on the end of the game. E.g. the English says
Well - my german version is unambiguously allowing to not place a tile even if you can. It's identical with this rulebook linked on BGA how-to-play-section: https://gesellschaftsspiele.spielen.de/ ... a3b529.pdf
See page 3 upper part where is says "Du darfst auf das Legen des Steins verzichten."

At the same time BGA links this english version: https://www.blueorangegames.com/adminis ... dition.pdf
... which is unambiguously stating in the upper left of page 3, that you are NOT allowed to discard a tile "Dominoes cannot be discarded if they can be placed in a kingdom using the above rules."

Not sure which version is in the original rules,... but it doesn't change gameplay that much anyway.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.

Return to “Kingdomino”