Skat, Saint Poker and Palace: 3 card games!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Een

Skat, Saint Poker and Palace: 3 card games!

Post by Een » 10 January 2020, 11:52

For the beginning of this Happy New Year, we are delighted to gift you with not one, not two, but three new card games. Skat, a classic very popular in Germany, Saint Poker, a game created by a member of the BGA community and Palace, another popular classic, are now available on Board Game Arena!

Skat is a 3 players trick-taking game played in teams which has some similarities with French Tarot. After a bidding phase, the player who made the highest bid chooses the type of game played, then has to fulfill his contract against the two other players to win.

Saint Poker is inspired from the Texas hold 'em poker card game (without bidding). It plays over several rounds with cards being moved to and from the River and your hand over the rounds which makes the game more strategic as you can try to influence the later rounds from the knowledge gained from previous rounds. This game has been designed and implemented recently by a player of the BGA community, Ricardorix so you have certainly never heard of it before! Please give it a try and give him feedback :)

Palace is a popular classic known under many names and having numerous variations. The goal is to get rid of your cards before the other players. You'll follow the other players laying down cards in a central pile as long as possible, but if you can't play, then you have to take back in hand all the cards from the central pile. Of course, you want to avoid that as much as possible...

For Skat, our thanks go to DrKarotte, and for Saint Poker and Palace, to RicardoRix. Thanks a lot to both of them for their work developing games for the community using BGA Studio!

Happy New Year everyone, we wish you a lot of fun and games!

senatorhung

Re: Skat, Saint Poker and Palace: 3 card games!

Post by senatorhung » 10 January 2020, 14:02

'normal' speed for saint poker is WAY too short. should be 3x as much. when the whole table gets timeouts .. that's a bad sign.

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=62583388

Een

Post by Een » 10 January 2020, 14:28

senatorhung wrote:
10 January 2020, 14:02
'normal' speed for saint poker is WAY too short. should be 3x as much. when the whole table gets timeouts .. that's a bad sign.

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=62583388
Good catch, actually no extra time was given to players for Saint Poker and Palace between turns. This is fixed now and clock penalties have been removed.

Thanks!

hasi6562

Post by hasi6562 » 10 January 2020, 21:21

hallo,
bei dem spiel balace lädt er bei mir nur 10 % dann ist ende ich habe schon neu gestartet. Hat auch nichts geholfen .

danke

Holmes108

Post by Holmes108 » 11 January 2020, 03:10

I've heard good things about Skat and always wanted to learn it. But Wow. I just watched the video and my head is spinning with that scoring info . Seems kinda convoluted. Will still try and push through though , because it's otherwise exactly my kind of game , and a 3 player card game can often come in handy.

logykal

Post by logykal » 11 January 2020, 17:28

I would love to see Euchre card game come to BGA. I have several friends who would join just for that game alone.

RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix » 11 January 2020, 17:56

logykal wrote:
11 January 2020, 17:28
I would love to see Euchre card game come to BGA. I have several friends who would join just for that game alone.
You and your friends should try Saint Poker, apparently it's the best card game to be released this decade!, maybe of all-time. But I'm the game designer so I'm possibly being a bit modest, maybe it's even better than that :D. But what have you got to lose?

sillynamenace

Post by sillynamenace » 11 January 2020, 20:06

Great choice for the header photo, by the way ;)

fuzzycoatimundi

Post by fuzzycoatimundi » 12 January 2020, 01:30

Holmes108 wrote:
11 January 2020, 03:10
I've heard good things about Skat and always wanted to learn it. But Wow. I just watched the video and my head is spinning with that scoring info . Seems kinda convoluted. Will still try and push through though , because it's otherwise exactly my kind of game , and a 3 player card game can often come in handy.
Skat is awesome! Push through—there isn't a better three-player card game out there.

KlausNY

Post by KlausNY » 13 January 2020, 03:42

Skat is an excellent trump game that includes partnered defensive play. It is well worth the effort to learn. Thank you BGA!

Return to “Official announcements [en]”