Preference to play withGood, Strong Players and Above

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
pumpkinlovemelon

Preference to play withGood, Strong Players and Above

Post by pumpkinlovemelon »

Is this a pattern?

I've been kicked and refused to play coz of my hanabi ELO is too low.

Don't we all start our ELO from 0 in Hanabi?

SO far I play 19 games of hanabi and stopped counting how many times I've been kicked coz of my ELO is not even considered as 'Good' .

For those who do this. my Question is : Why?
kariert

Re: Preference to play withGood, Strong Players and Above

Post by kariert »

I don't do this but I must say I don't enjoy playing with beginners and apprentices either. In many cases they don't know what the conventions are, for example concerning clueing and even if I try to explain it to them friendly in the chat they either start discussing with me and tell me they don't care about my 'made up rules', or they ignore it straight away. This does not only refer to clueing, often new players waste hints, discard 5s etc. and ignore any messages in the chat about that as well. I know they are beginners and I know I made those mistakes too, but I don't enjoy playing a game where I know right from the start I'll lose at least 7 elo points. We have the possibility to filter by ranking and I don't see why we shouldn't use it if the other option is a game that is not enjoy by the veteran player or the newer player who still needs to learn the basics.
Ankeszu

Post by Ankeszu »

I'm not sure why these players set up tables that you can join, if they don't want to play with this elo level. Are you sure it's about elo and not about, let's say, that they wanted to play with friends (which for some reason they didn't invite?). Or maybe they are the new account but not the new player, and as experienced over what their elo shows, they prefer to play with also more experienced guys? Hanabi as a fully coop game with a lot of gamestyle changes due to experience is enjoyable mostly in a similar level players team.
Don't we all start our ELO from 0 in Hanabi?
Well, I started with 700, if I remember correctly... *that's just a joke about a previous elo system*
As I said above - there are some players that created new accounts for various reason, and while they might have low elo, they aren't really at the same level as a "true beginner of BGA Hanabi". Usually it doesn't matter if these beginners knew the game rules from real life. If they haven't been playing in BGA way or with people that learned BGA style, they aren't going to play well with the higher rank BGA players.

You may look for some groups of "friendly players" or maybe there is a Hanabi teaching group. Maybe this will help.
merlin they them

Post by merlin they them »

The problem with this approach is that it's solely based off of BGA games. Some folks may have played Hanabi (or any game on BGA) in real life and you wouldn't know. BGA needs an option to say "I've played before for real"
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

I don't think that's a problem.
If you are good at a game, you should win and reach you real level pretty fast.

But even if that could be problematic for hanabi, since most player play around convention, already played this game in real doesn't help (too) much...
Signy33

Post by Signy33 »

I had the same experience as Kariert. Playing with beginners is frustrating, because either you don't explain anything and you spend the game getting angry/sad at their mistakes, or you try to explain, but it often comes off as condescending.
Getting to ELO 100 or even 200 doesn't take much time. There are always tables for 100 and above.

Return to “Hanabi”