[ARENA Season 0] Format changes summary

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

[ARENA Season 0] Format changes summary

Post by sourisdudesert » 16 January 2020, 10:52

Following your feedback, we changed some Arena format (see full list below).

All these changes has been announced on their respective game dedicated forums. If you want to continue the discussion about one of this change, please use the specific forum thread. At the end of each Season, we will review all of forum Threads containing "ARENA Season X" to take a decision about changing the format.

Note also that you can create polls on this forum, so you can see the opinion of the other players.

French Tarot: format is now 4 players instead of 5 to match the official real life tournaments format.
7 Wonders: format will be: 4 players during even seasons (0, 2, 4, 6...), and 3 players during odd seasons (1, 3, 5, ...).
Kalah: format will be: 4 stones during even seasons (0, 2, 4, 6...), and 5 stones during odd seasons (1, 3, 5, ...). It may evolves depending on the success of each format.
Puerto Rico: format is now 3 players (to make easier to start games).
Tzolkin: format is now 2 players (to make easier to start games).
Saboteur: tournament rule is now "On" + format is now 5 players (to make easier to start games).
Clans of Caledonia: format is now 2 players (to make easier to start games).
Roll for the Galaxy: format is now 2 players (to make easier to start games).
Terra Mystica: format will be 4 players during even seasons (0, 2, 4, 6...) and 2 players during odd seasons (1, 3, 5, ...). "Landscapes" expansion is OFF for the 2 first seasons of one year, and ON for the 2 remaining seasons of one year.
Werewolves: Format has been changes from 12 to 8 players to facilitate the starting of the game. All options has been set according to the most popular options played by community on BGA. Village is off. Available roles are: The Hunter, Cupido, Thief.
Keyflower: format is now 2 players (to make easier to start games).
Stone age: format will be: 4 players during even seasons (0, 2, 4, 6...), and 2 players during odd seasons (1, 3, 5, ...).

Note: all current settings can be found on this page:
https://boardgamearena.com/gamelist/gam ... l?season=0

sprockitz

Re: [ARENA Season 0] Format changes summary

Post by sprockitz » 16 January 2020, 14:31

Can you makes palaces of carrara and troyes both 2 players. They are both good at 2 player and would help in finding games.

Edit: Also Uncle Chestnut’s Table Gype

RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix » 16 January 2020, 14:46

If Arena mode is THE competitive mode, then player number should be set according to the best competitive nature, not just to fill tables.

If you have 4 players, and the game is best in 4-players, then there should be 1 table.
Not 2 tables of 2 just to fill tables quicker.

sprockitz

Post by sprockitz » 16 January 2020, 14:49

In my opinion...Tzolkin, clans of caledonia, and terra mystica are all inferior games with 2 players. Keyflower and Stone Age are as good with 2p, so I’m okay with those changes. Other games I don’t know enough to share my opinion.

sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert » 16 January 2020, 14:54

sprockitz wrote:
16 January 2020, 14:49
In my opinion...Tzolkin, clans of caledonia, and terra mystica are all inferior games with 2 players.
I totally agree with that.

However, zero Arena games have been played for Tzolkin before we made the change (and several since). We had to find a compromise between waiting time and game interest. If the popularity of these games increase, there is no doubt we can change that again in the future.

Serilo

Post by Serilo » 17 January 2020, 05:47

sourisdudesert wrote:
16 January 2020, 10:52

Werewolves: Format has been changes from 12 to 8 players to facilitate the starting of the game. All options has been set according to the most popular options played by community on BGA. Village is off. Available roles are: The Hunter, Cupido, Thief.
That`s no good. You picked Cupido and thief - two roles that are simply not competitive. Thief selection can decide games almost on its own, ESPECIALLY IN 8 PLAYERS, and Cupido... is shit for competitive because you can arbitratily make winning more difficult for two people at the start of the game. Remove Cupido and Thief and only use Hunter in 8 players - that`s enough.

asd123321

Post by asd123321 » 18 January 2020, 06:39

The top players playing For Sale have been doing 5 player, Good or better. Having lower ranked players throws the
bidding off excessively high.

6nimmt has the top players doing Tactics on the right 5 player, Strong or better. Having low ranked players in there
drags the ELO down when the cards are bad.

Without this, it wouldn't be of interest. If it is for the top players, it would not be necessarily what the average would
be playing.

eyebooger

Post by eyebooger » 19 January 2020, 17:58

Thanks for setting this up! Just one quick comment:

It's not a very popular game, but I don't understand why the format for Nautilus is with hidden domain cards. I've played a few hundred games here, and not once have I played with that setting.

Babbuc49

Post by Babbuc49 » 20 January 2020, 00:28

Hi everyone,
i don't know if this has already been brought up but i didn't find it so i'm just gonna write it.
Today i earned a total of 3 silver league points in 2 games of terramystica that got aborted because a player ran out of time. Now i don't know if it's intended to be this way or not but that doesn't seem fair to me, my promotion now seems a bit "undeserved" but most of all i think it can encourage players to take advantage of that, like if someone is just having a momentary issue and runs out of time he/she might get kicked right away even if he/she is still there and was not intending to abandon the game.

Babbuc49

Post by Babbuc49 » 20 January 2020, 00:30

lol just realised i posted this on the wrong thread imma repost it on the general arena mode discussion

Return to “Discussions”