this game is super rigged

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Mforge

Re: this game is super rigged

Post by Mforge »

I know, haha. And a game I just played was normal (although yet another Yahtzee). Those scores were WILD though. I've played Yahtzee hundreds of times irl and can probably count the number of 400+ games on one hand, and one or both of those scores on here might have been my highest ever. Forgive me for wondering if the dice roll algorithm was bugged (I don't think it's deliberately rigged, no).
Shogun2049

Post by Shogun2049 »

There MUST be something wrong with the Yahtzee algorithm. Two weeks ago, I was able to get up to rank 57 on the Arena Leaderboard. Since then, I've dropped to 1644. My win/loss rate has tanked HORRIBLY in the last two weeks to where playing against me, is like earning free Arena points. My play hasn't changed, it's just that it no longer gives me usable rolls.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Shogun2049 wrote: 24 August 2023, 09:51 .... it no longer gives me usable rolls.
The randomness of the dice don't know anything about the kind of dice rolls you're trying to get.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Look like you aren't as good as you think you are.
You got lucky to get to rank 57, and now you are unlucky and goes way down.
And you real level is between those. So sometimes you will be above it, and sometimes under it.

Note that Yahtzee has a lot of luck on it, so to get a good ranking, you need a lot of luck whatever you level is.

It's possible too that I'm wrong, and you are a very good player, but if that's the case, you should be back to rank ~50 pretty easily with ~50 more games.
shaynelle

Post by shaynelle »

I think their programming is off, and I see this both when I win and when I lose.

I actually don’t like when first off the bat I roll a yatzee of sixes. It doesn’t guarantee I win the game but it sure makes it less exciting.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

shaynelle wrote: 24 August 2023, 19:19
It begs the question, why have you played the game more than 2000 times on BGA if you think their programming is off? :D
Shogun2049

Post by Shogun2049 »

Romain672 wrote: 24 August 2023, 12:11 Look like you aren't as good as you think you are.
You got lucky to get to rank 57, and now you are unlucky and goes way down.
And you real level is between those. So sometimes you will be above it, and sometimes under it.

It's possible too that I'm wrong, and you are a very good player, but if that's the case, you should be back to rank ~50 pretty easily with ~50 more games.
I was able to get back up to around Rank 157ish, but then it reversed again crashing back to 1800. It's a very streaky game and I've learned that if I have 2 wins in a row, I need to keep playing as it's in Win Mode and I'll usually get around 5 wins in a row. The problem with the ranking is it takes 2 wins to overcome 1 loss.

If you wonder why I play Yahtzee so much then, it's because sometimes I don't have the time to invest in a game that could take 30+ minutes and Yahtzee takes about 5-7 minutes each game. It's why I have so many plays of Lucky Numbers as well.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

I would think it’s risky to expect to consistently level up in an almost entirely luck based game. True, there are some strategies to increase you probability, but I would not specifically fault the roll algorithm as a negative score engine.

It casual. It’s heavy luck based. It’s super easy to jump back into a game already in progress, so it can be played turn based if you don’t have time.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

Shogun2049 wrote: 01 September 2023, 11:16 It's a very streaky game and I've learned that if I have 2 wins in a row, I need to keep playing as it's in Win Mode and I'll usually get around 5 wins in a row.
This is a very vivid example of human bias or you have a very strange definition of the word "usually". Of the last 6 times you had 2 wins in a row, you lost the next game 3 times, and you won the next game the other 3 times, only once in there you had a streak of 5 or more wins in a row. There is no such thing like "Win Mode".
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Shogun2049 wrote: 01 September 2023, 11:16 ... I've learned that if I have 2 wins in a row, I need to keep playing as it's in Win Mode and I'll usually get around 5 wins in a row.
If you 'learn' something that is fundamentally wrong have you really learned anything at all?

Return to “Yahtzee”