What is it with this community's hate for new players?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
kariert

What is it with this community's hate for new players?

Post by kariert »

I've learned how to play Skat when the game was introduced to this website, that's about three weeks ago. I've played a handful of games now, I'd say it's fair to call me a beginner. I'd also say it's normal for beginners to make mistakes from time to time. So why is it that in 3 out of 4 cases when I make a mistake and play with players who apparently are a bit more experience, they start to be condescending in the chat and make annoyed comments like "This is unbelievable", "WTH, how can you play like this", "If you don't know how to play, don't bother me" or my favorite "God these amateurs, can't wait for this game to end so I can give a thumb down". Is it really so hard to keep gameplay civil? Being polite doesn't only mean not using swearwords. I really like the game but I'm starting to lose interest in playing it because every time I play I'm already waiting for some mean comment in the chat.
Chickenduck

Re: What is it with this community's hate for new players?

Post by Chickenduck »

I've found this to be a common occurrence with Skat players elsewhere - I've played a few times on the Skatinsel and gave up because the people there seem to have zero tolerance for learners...

To be honest, on here I've found everyone to be ok, even though I'm also a beginner and I make a lot of silly errors. I haven't had any comments like the ones you mentioned (one time I had someone just comment "????" but I realised immediately what I'd done wrong).
mellyagain

Post by mellyagain »

I haven't had that experience here, yet, but I can imagine it happening. I know I've made my share of noob mistakes! It's a game where there are already people who know it really well and often you are playing cooperatively with one of the other players, so what you play affects others. That's no excuse for rudeness, though.

If you ever want to play an easy-going game of skat, feel free to send me an invite. I'm certainly learning, too :)
kariert

Post by kariert »

Chickenduck wrote: 26 January 2020, 12:13 I've found this to be a common occurrence with Skat players elsewhere - I've played a few times on the Skatinsel and gave up because the people there seem to have zero tolerance for learners...
I was thinking about switching to skatinsel because the interface looked so nice and friendly lol Guess I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover
Chickenduck

Post by Chickenduck »

kariert wrote: 27 January 2020, 00:22 I was thinking about switching to skatinsel because the interface looked so nice and friendly lol Guess I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover
Well, since I made the above comment, I've played a few times more on Skatinsel and didn't have any further bad experiences. Maybe there were just a few people in a bad mood the first time I played there or something :)

I recommend the SkatLite app also, Daniel Schäfer has a lot of good strategy tips and stuff to play through.
Nisterius

Post by Nisterius »

I'm sorry this was your experience, kariert!
I've only been playing a year or so, but I love the game, and want others to love it to. I'm always happy to play with you if we're both online!
flogae

Post by flogae »

Was it German players making those comments? I'd be embarrassed but neither would it surprise me.
I mean, it's our sacred national cardgame so new players (and maybe especially those from other nations) need to get a feeling they are entering a closed circle of initiates, you see...

Not an appropriate way to deal with the opportunity BGA is creating for this really beautiful little game to get a reputation elsewhere, I would say, but still, possibly, that's why.

And of course, it's in the nature of the game that two players cooperate to beat the third, and if you're playing in the two-player party, you CAN make a mistake that spoils it for your partner. Had it happen on me countless times and made it happen the other way (hopefully not quite so often). In RL, at the table, we usually shrug about it and get into a discussion about why and how it was a wrong move. As usual, the Internet has a tendency to deteriorate people's manners.

Shouldn't happen.
toddcarson

Post by toddcarson »

Sorry, kariert!
Though I've only played for a year, I enjoy the game and want others to too. If we're online, I'd love to play! drift boss
Nunzio Buonaventura

Post by Nunzio Buonaventura »

have you tried French Tarot and Coinche? same thing , maybe a little bit more toxic

Return to “Skat”