Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
asd123321

Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Post by asd123321 »

to make it easier to see everything. Buildings are way too small.

Flip the Plantations and ships 90 degrees clockwise and have them right of your player board
Make the player's board much larger. Put the Goods box below the Buildings. Make the Buildings
twice as big
alextingle

Re: Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Post by alextingle »

What kind of screen are you playing on?

Making the player's board larger, and the buildings bigger will likely force your opponents' tableaux off the screen. It's just as important to see what they are up to as it is to see your own stuff.

I play on a wide(ish) screen laptop, and I can see everything without scrolling. I have used some CSS hackery to reduce the size of the message pane. I've put it above the Game status display, which gives more space for the tableaux.
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

I have a 23" wide screen type. Player's boards aren't visible anyway.
diamant

Post by diamant »

asd123321 wrote: 27 January 2020, 02:40 to make it easier to see everything. Buildings are way too small.
I agree with the subject of this thread: the playing area is arranged despite common sense.

Let’s start with the texts. We can classify them in 3 character sizes, for:
a) roles;
b) titles and players;
c) automatic actions panel.
What is remarkable is to note that the character sizes are in the reverse order of the importance of the text and the frequency of use.

In the real game, a player chooses his role by taking an exposed role card, as well as any doubloons present on the card. I find it deplorable that, for such an essential phase of the game, role cards have been replaced by the selection of a line of text that is very difficult to read. It’s even worse with 5 players, because the two roles cards of the prospector are grouped on a single line.

As for the smallness of the graphics, it does not result from a lack of space: on my screen, the useful elements of the playing area occupy only half of the available surface.
Fabien9000

Post by Fabien9000 »

It's fantastic to be able to play Puerto Rico on BGA but the remarks in the thread make sense.
The original creator did a great job but it would be nice to be able to propose a redesign, with some mockups perhaps and let it review by the creators and the experienced players.

What's the procedure to improve a game on the site :) ?
DennisMoore

Post by DennisMoore »

If someone is able to do a re-design, I would also suggest putting goods, money and spare colonists on the player's boards, rather than (or possibly in addition to) the player list on the right-hand side. That way it's possible to assess a player's position just by looking at their board, rather than having to look in two places and match up players.
dogenzen

Post by dogenzen »

Yeah, it's great to be able to play.
Still A Whole Lot can be improved and redesigned.
57erniepyle

Post by 57erniepyle »

The text is too tiny. And the first time I played it here, it took a while to find where to pick a Role. Even just a label 'Roles' above the list of Roles would help on the first game.[/b]

Fun to play it again after all these years.
Bronn Stone

Post by Bronn Stone »

My concerns are mostly mechanical. And almost exclusively intended to speed up a game which tends far too often to get caught on waiting for players to make choices which are no choice at all.

1. The "Keep Your Goods" after the Captain Phase is unnecessarily clunky. 90+% of the time people want to keep all their goods and can. An algorithm to test if you can keep all is NOT hard - assign the goods of which you have the highest quantity to the warehouse(s) in descending order. If that results in no goods to ship back. Enable a Keep It All button in the existing window.

2. The "Confirm Role" should accept actually taking the role as confirmation. If I choose Builder and click on a Tobacco Barn, that should be confirmation enough. I should not have to click ACCEPT and the role. Nor should I have to risk a single misclick giving me the wrong role. But two clicks means I'm doing what I want.

3. The Blue Area should include "always accept privilege" as a fourth clickable option. Obviously, for the Craftsman, if you produce multiple types of goods, it will still need to ask which. But in general, you almost always want the privilege and in the rare cases you know you don't, you can unclick the selection in the Blue Area before choosing.

4. We have the pennants that indicate who is the governor. Another marker should indicate the person whose role it is. Particularly for newcomers, it is cumbersome to count crossed out roles - especially with the nonsense about the Prospector in five-player games (really dudes and dudettes - the windrose above the role names can easily shrink to make room for two Prospectors when needed).

5. Especially for new players, a bright indicator up top should show when an end of game condition has been met. The news the game is ending is easy to overlook in the flood of notices in the incredibly tiny notification area. In fact, I almost never see it. I have to watch the settlers/victory chits/building areas to know. Too many games are decided by a newcomer who takes actions ignorant of the fact the game is ending.

6. It would be nice to have the ability to at least lock the notification area so that new events aren't flooding out the one I'm trying to find. It is virtually impossible to scroll back unless it is your turn and the rest of the game is waiting on you.

7. More notification that the game is waiting on you. After 20 seconds when it is your turn, the background of the notification area should go from white to red. After 40 seconds, an audible alert. Either should shut off if you click "Give Me Some Time To Think". But in my experience, most delays are from choices which are no choice at all. If I had a dollar for every time I've sat 2 full minutes waiting for someone to pick between three identical indigo plantations, well, I'd have more than a few dollars.

8. This might be harder, but it sure would be nice. Highlight the things from which I am supposed to be choosing. If it is waiting for me to place settlers, highlight the plantations and buildings that have room for settlers. If it is waiting for me to choose a role, highlight the roles. If it is waiting for me to select a building, highlight the building supply. This game involves a LOT of hourglass watching while players struggle with connectivity or decisions. The mind drifts.

Don't get me wrong, it's an AMAZING implementation of a tough game. Just a few tweaks will make the experience that much better.
yoyoyo2020

Post by yoyoyo2020 »

How about the barrel colours of coffee, tobacco, and corn?? Any way to make them more distinguishable?

Return to “Puerto Rico”