Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Natus

Re: Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Post by Natus »

asd123321 wrote: 27 January 2020, 02:40 to make it easier to see everything. Buildings are way too small.

Flip the Plantations and ships 90 degrees clockwise and have them right of your player board
Make the player's board much larger. Put the Goods box below the Buildings. Make the Buildings
twice as big
I came here to post this. Most if not all the boardgame adaptations here are fantastic. The Puerto Rico one is simply not one of them. I'm in a game now and it's exceedingly difficult to se where anything is and it seems like you're playing from a satellite over Earth. Surely the UI can be improved!
Tilt

Post by Tilt »

Hi,
This is just to let the bga community of Puerto Rico know that this game is probably not getting as many new players as it should because of the terrible UI. For some reason the UI is microscopic and for a new player it's unfeasible to be continually hovering the mouse over buildings just to know what they are. I'm a long time Caylus player and was considering getting into Puerto Rico but decided against it as soon as I saw the terrible UI.

If it changes COMPLETELY someday, then maybe I would reconsider playing it here. Until then I'll learn a different game.

Good luck!
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

Puerto Rico has been designed quite 12 years ago...

I''m not very sure a developer will be keen to redesign it as a volunteer.
It's not that hard but you all players are so demanding...

Seasons redesign has got too many very mean comments in less than two days !
I surely won't redesign Puerto Rico for this reason.
john0607

Post by john0607 »

I came in here to say the same thing. The interface is terrible as the graphics is way too small. As someone who wears glasses, trying to play this game was literally hurting my eyes and I'm playing it on a full sized PC screen. No other game has done that. Won't be playing it again
DJ VenoM

Post by DJ VenoM »

It DESPERATELY needs one! :P

Of course it's great to have the game here, but the current UI can be quite frustrating...

Who's designed the original BGA adaptation?
(don't know where to find this information)

Maybe it's a small step from the original code if the designer could work on that. It's mostly about resizing and relocating elements on the screen.

Please, O.D, ship this wanting colonists some barrels of redesign! :D

Tkssss
ufm

Post by ufm »

tchobello wrote: 27 April 2023, 09:29 It's not that hard but you all players are so demanding...

Seasons redesign has got too many very mean comments in less than two days !
I surely won't redesign Puerto Rico for this reason.
I guess I'll have to agree. Try redesigning something only if you want to be mauled.
Just1MoreTurn

Post by Just1MoreTurn »

My biggest issue with this game is the missing "undo" for role selection. It happens way to often and ruins the whole game.
sames6840

Post by sames6840 »

I came to the forums to suggest a redesign and I see the same topic posted in 2020.
Come on BGA. This is a great game that has stood the test of time, but this implementation needs to be updated.
Looking at newer games like Ark Nova which are beautifully done, bring Puerto Rico up to date.

It is clunkly at times, the sizing is poor, and mobile is pretty damn bad with this one.

If the game itself can be relaunched, "Puerto Rico 1897", then it is time for BGA to relaunch as well.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

sames6840 wrote: 17 August 2023, 20:21 Come on BGA. This is a great game that has stood the test of time, but this implementation needs to be updated.
BGA doesn't make the games, they just host them and provide the infrastructure.

Think of it like Steam. It is a hosting platform where other developers put games.

An independent developer needs to volunteer to program and develop the game on BGA for anything to happen. (Or, much less often, sometimes the publisher of the game hires a developer or team to make a game on here... I think that's what happened with Ark Nova, which is probably part of the reason it's so polished. But again, that has nothing to do with BGA, they just provide the platform and infrastructure.)
SynthZ

Post by SynthZ »

I agree, thumbs up for the redesign, this current design is unplayable for me, it hurts my eyes.

Return to “Puerto Rico”