Arena mode should be 3 player

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
haxxorn

Arena mode should be 3 player

Post by haxxorn »

Thats the best version of the game imho.
Imrryran

Re: Arena mode should be 3 player

Post by Imrryran »

Why would you say it is better than 4-player?
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

[citation needed]
yoyoyo2020

Post by yoyoyo2020 »

I agree. I like Arena to be 3 players
BobTheTurtle

Post by BobTheTurtle »

I agree that Arena Mode for this game should be 3 players. I think that it is much more strategic than the 2 player game, which is the current setting, because in 2 player military is pretty much all that matters as you only need to have more culture than your opponent, whereas in 3 players both culture production and military are important since you need to have more culture than both other players. I also prefer 3 player to 4 player because 4 player adds a lot of time to the game and you play a shorter percentage of the time (33% in 3 player, 25% in 4 player) without adding much strategy. 3 player is more strategic than 2 player and is shorter, but no less strategic than, 4 player, so I think Arena Mode should be changed to 3 player for this game.
Panterpe

Post by Panterpe »

BobTheTurtle wrote: 21 April 2020, 20:57 I agree that Arena Mode for this game should be 3 players. I think that it is much more strategic than the 2 player game, which is the current setting, because in 2 player military is pretty much all that matters as you only need to have more culture than your opponent, whereas in 3 players both culture production and military are important since you need to have more culture than both other players. I also prefer 3 player to 4 player because 4 player adds a lot of time to the game and you play a shorter percentage of the time (33% in 3 player, 25% in 4 player) without adding much strategy. 3 player is more strategic than 2 player and is shorter, but no less strategic than, 4 player, so I think Arena Mode should be changed to 3 player for this game.
I see your point, but I do not think your way of proving it is valid. I can say the same thing, such as both 2p and 4p are better than 3p. since 2p are shorter, 4p are more strategic. If you have time, go for 4p to get most of TTA. With 4p you can form two group of 2v2 completion, which is lacking in 3p. If you are short in time, go for 2p to get most of the game in a more competitive way. Military is very important, but if you think military is pretty much all that matters, think again. It is much harder to get an military edge in the new version.
bockatore

Post by bockatore »

After playing a season of 2p arena, I want to add a vote for 3p arena. I think having more players increases the complexity of the game in an interesting way. But I would not like 4p as then I would have to wait longer between turns.
yoyoyo2020

Post by yoyoyo2020 »

I vote 3 too
Evil Cat Emperor

Post by Evil Cat Emperor »

I agree with 3 - that's also the most recommended number of players for TTA on BGG, and I agree that 3 player TTA is fundamentally a different game from 2 player one, but 4 is essentially just a slower/longer version of 3 player game.
nmego

Post by nmego »

bockatore wrote: 07 July 2020, 15:41 After playing a season of 2p arena, I want to add a vote for 3p arena. I think having more players increases the complexity of the game in an interesting way. But I would not like 4p as then I would have to wait longer between turns.
+1

It would be great if we at least cycle between 3p/2p, maybe a season of 4p too.

Return to “Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization”