Arena option discussion for Tokaido

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
cream

Arena option discussion for Tokaido

Post by cream » 11 February 2020, 06:45

A lot of good players come back to the Tokaido scene once arena has begun and the competition is keen :D . This game is easy to pick up with relaxing theme, at the same time have subtle depth that you can dig into if you want to become competitive.

the options for this game is highly debatable that which set of optional rule (or no optional rule) is the 'best' in terms of allowing more viable strategies, be more enjoyable, take less game to determine player's strength (in other words less random), and options that is turned on will also affect the balancing on inn/panorama/souvenirs/hot spring/farm/village/temple.

Available options:
Base game/Expansion

Initiation
A simplified version with no Travelers and everyone starting with 7 coins.

Return Trip
Instead of starting on the left side of the board, players move right to left.

Gastronomy
The first person arriving at an Inn draws one less card, only drawing one card per player.

Preparations
When leaving the starting Inn, the last player gains two coins, the next gains one coin, the fourth and fifth players each lose a coin.

Crossroads
This expansion adds a second option at each location (other than the Inns) to choose from when stopping.

New Encounters
This adds 4 new encounters to the possibilities when on the 'Encounters' space.
Current option: Preparations only, 2/3/4/5 players

Base game/expansion is two very different game, and personally I prefer the base game for now as it seems more 'pure' and balanced

Would like to know what do you guys think on the current set up :)

kicekjuve

Re: Arena option discussion for Tokaido

Post by kicekjuve » 11 February 2020, 16:38

For 4 players I would keep base game, but remove Preparations and add Gastronomy instead.

However, in my opinion most competitive variant which could be seasonally switched with above mentioned variant is 2-player game with Crossroads expansion.

I would really like to see a poll here to determine it.

Kallsup

Post by Kallsup » 11 February 2020, 19:45

I don't like preparations either, since the ones hurt the most are already (in my opinion) among the weakest e.g. Hiroshige, Sasayakko and Satsuki.
The gastronomy rules makes for a more strategic game which I like.

I think the number of players should be kept at 4. As of right now, the tournament system should be enough for the 2p sympathizers.

cream

Post by cream » 16 February 2020, 11:42

I don't like preparation either in a way that the 1st player is too weak - there's not much benefit of going first. I think the best seats without preparation are 2nd and 3rd given the map layout (without preparation) already, now 3rd seat is even stronger. Another way to put it is that the 1st player has 3 coins less than the 4th player - that's too much for the 1st player to catch up
Last edited by cream on 16 February 2020, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

Caninski_Jen

Post by Caninski_Jen » 16 February 2020, 13:23

The ideas seems to be fine but the preparation .. seems to be very weak

ponpoko51

Post by ponpoko51 » 16 February 2020, 14:27

I agree with the idea of adding gastronomy, and I also think the number of players should be kept as 4.
Regarding preparations, I don't find the necessity of it to be removed, since the last player to start has a disadvantage and is understandable that they get more money. But I also agree with the others that the first player is too weak.

sprockitz

Post by sprockitz » 16 February 2020, 18:48

Preparations is definitely overcompensating. A 3 coin delta makes no sense bc that is what you get at the money stop which is the most sought after spot. It works okay for 2p bc the delta is smaller but in 4p i think a 1 coin bonus for player 4 would be most even...so better not to use this option at all.

Return to “Discussions”