However, as this is not something that you can immediately "see", we decided to make this little post to show what's "under the hood".
1: Following the release of Kingdomino, the increasing audience of BGA caused an instability on our realtime server, with a slower response time (but no crash).
2: The instability of the realtime server made the server crash. We installed (a lot of) dedicated monitoring tool to analyse this difficult problem and try to solve it.
3: We removed the "players suggestion feature" which was very resource consuming and a possible major cause of the instability. With other optimizations, it allows to stop the server crashes and make the service more stable.
4. The new lobby was introduced on BGA, which cause a temporary slowdown. After some optimizations, we restored the previous quality of service.
5. We reorganized the architecture between our server to optimize the way our servers are communicating between each other. It solved immediately the realtime server instability and divided by 2 our response time.
6. We also managed to re-introduce an optimized version of "suggest to player", as many of you asked this feature. After some optimizations, we managed to limit the impact of this feature on performances, as you can see on the graph.
7. Thanks to 2 services interruptions, we setup a new database server for BGA, much more fast and powerful. It allowed us to decrease the response time by 35-40%.
8. When we change something on servers, there are sometimes unexpected consequences, like the temporary "slowdown" mentioned above that a few of you may have noticed. It has been fixed on January 15th.
Performance optimization is a continuous job for us, which is not very visible (except during the painful maintenance operation). We hope this post will help you to understand what we are doing.