Increasing BGA service capacity [UPDATE]

What's new on BGA ?
DoctorPelusa

Re: Increasing BGA service capacity [UPDATE]

Post by DoctorPelusa »

Just wanted to let you know that it's been impossible to play today for me, I've been logging in and immediately being logged out again continuously, whistl being in lobby trying to join a game, whistl in matchmaking queue, and even a just a few seconds after reloging. I could even see myself in the lobby with people joining and leaving after being logged out, so I think that's not helping with server load of matchmaking neither...
I really appreciate your efforts and the work you're doing, but the experience I had this evening was terrible, previous days I could log in or not depending on traffic (and I'm totally ok with that) but what's happening today is annoying and extremely frustrating.

Hope you can sort it out and thanks for your work!

EDIT: Everything seems to be solved and working like a charm, TY!
Last edited by DoctorPelusa on 30 March 2020, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
WarlordBatz

Post by WarlordBatz »

I am a Cloud Infrastructure Engineer and from a professional perspective I would be interested to hear what platform(s) you are using to host BGA? Is it Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or a different provider, maybe with a more traditional data centre model.

I read your posts about scaling out difficulties with making your lobby distributable and progress towards this. Perhaps the next move might be to an auto-scaling infrastructure like that offered by AWS or Azure? Or maybe that is not easy for you due to the way the service was created.

Anyway, I am just interested :)
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi

We are hosted (mostly) by OVH, on dedicated servers.

Scaling BGA is not a problem of servers: this is a problem of software (details here). So being on AWS or any other cloud would probably help a little, but not that much.
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

20086 players tonight and still playing. Well done, guys
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

UPDATE: April 2th

The capacity of the service has been upgraded to 20.000 simultaneous players last night, and 22.000 players today.

We are going to continue to work on this, as the website was full tonight.
ShodanHo

Post by ShodanHo »

Hi
Don't know if you are aware but you were recommended by the BBC Click program last week (28th March 2020) as one of the best distractions during the the Coronavirus isolation. You got about 20 seconds airtime on both the long version and the short versions, which airs on both the BBC UK and World News. Link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... n-28032020

Hope you can view it, you are on at 7 minutes in.
kavide1234

Post by kavide1234 »

hi,

i check this thread every day. you did well and 22k capacity is amazing :D
we are so exciting about your plans, if it is possible after each step please tell us what you did and what is your next plan. :?: :arrow: :idea:

thanks alot
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

UPDATE: April 5th

Capacity of the service at peak hour is now 25.000 simultaneous players.

We almost manage to distribute everything, so it's more easy for us to get new capacity. However, the problem appears progressively when we are increasing max number of players, so we need to increase the maximum capacity slowly.

Thanks for your nice feedback and patience.
PiotrP2

Post by PiotrP2 »

Maybe another solution: diffrent games on diffrent serwers. It is another way to distribute players. Many of then probably want play only one game. Or Free users should have limit to one game to see boards. Only premium many games. It is only opinion. I am free user, but i usually play only 1 game. So for me this solution is better than cannot play anyway. (every evening i cant play)
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

PiotrP2 wrote: 05 April 2020, 21:54 Maybe another solution: diffrent games on diffrent serwers.
If you read the first post of this thread you'll learn that that's what we're doing already ;)

UPDATE April 5th: service capacity at peak hour is now 27.000 simultaneous players.

Return to “BGA release notes”