Increasing BGA service capacity [UPDATE]

What's new on BGA ?
Robo65

Re: Increasing BGA service capacity [UPDATE]

Post by Robo65 »

Impressive numbers.

But I'm curious: When I am playing 15 turn-based games and open a browser tab for each of them (because I am hustling and bustling back and forth between them), am I counted as one player or as 15?

Robo
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Robo65 wrote: 06 May 2020, 15:13 am I counted as one player or as 15?
For the "audience" statistic on BGA homepage, only one.

This is not an exact science: a player with 15 tabs open on BGA is consuming more resources than another player. When 50.000 players are online, we can anticipate very well the total resources needed.
Sandoval

Post by Sandoval »

sourisdudesert wrote:21 May 2020, 15:40 Dear all,

Sorry for the incident that occurred 30 minutes ago.

We lost one of our 5 real game servers, with approximately 20% of the realtime games in progress. The probable cause is a temporary hardware issue, but we're still looking for the cause.

We've restored 95% of our realtime games capacity now, and all penalties received during the incident has been removed.

Sorry again, and have good games on BGA.
diehard4life

Post by diehard4life »

Good day from Milwaukee, WI USA (still in quarantine):

That's neither here nor there, but it's nice to check in with a smidgen of personal context. Thank you for the grace imparted by reading.

My question regards the definition of the term players when it comes to your capacity expansion. I gleaned that one user may have multiple games open, but they are seen as one player by definition. Am I framing that properly?

That asked, is one considered a player when logged into the site lobby? I apologize if I missed this information.

My interest is in determining what we can do as users to be as community conscious as possible when it comes to our use of this precious resource. A new premium member myself, I desire to assist in whatever way I can by getting up to speed on user best practices.

That said, I have seen friends remain present in the lobby, but inactive when it comes to games in progress. It seemed like it would be quite nice to log in as a user in the lobby and wait for friends to join the lobby and then invite them to a spontaneous session. However, I do not wish to presume that remaining in the lobby uses minimal resources or server space, separate or not.

What would you suggest as admins that we users who are focused on resource scarcity and fairness apply as a best-practice approach to our own use. How would it best work for us to use the resources here if we wish to truly share the experience, even if it means reconsidering how we might interact with the site.

So far I have taken to scheduling group chats with friends via standard mobile applications and setting login times for us to game together as we each learn how to be guests and community members here at BGA. That's certainly the proactive way to do things. But those of us who are quarantined and working at home, or working in development or some sector that ties us to our screens (five at present) in some way are continually expanding the living boundaries of how we're interacting with each other.

I'm now well versed in MS Teams, Zoom, Discord and other new social and professional spaces. As we go forward I tend to apply my vigilant eyes as a systems analyst and former quality auditor without thinking about it. However, now as a much older man I have chosen to redirect my use of this gift of assessment as more of a commitment to an ethic of continuous improvement. However, what was once the judgement of a SME, now requires a vigilance versus old paradigms.

Odins ravens! I have done it again, gone geek berserk in a verbosely prosaic pondering. *Resets gaze outward* Not to take any more of your time or precious cerebral capacity for the important... please just let us know how might be the way we can most consciously facilitate the same joy we experience for other users?

Sincerely indebted,
Christian in Brewtown
Een

Post by Een »

diehard4life wrote: 26 May 2020, 03:32 Good day from Milwaukee, WI USA (still in quarantine):
Good day!
diehard4life wrote: 26 May 2020, 03:32 What would you suggest as admins that we users who are focused on resource scarcity and fairness apply as a best-practice approach to our own use. How would it best work for us to use the resources here if we wish to truly share the experience, even if it means reconsidering how we might interact with the site.
Good news! We have increased the capacity enough (and the average load has somewhat diminished with Europe slowly opening again to the outdoors) so you don't need to worry about this as a player :D

Happy that you enjoy BGA!

Return to “BGA release notes”