Table talk

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
rspn

Table talk

Post by rspn »

How much conversation is chat in deemed legal? Are we, for instance, allowed to give information about the location of gold etc? Asking despite this being fairly common, since one player got upset and quit because of this in one game.
Wreckage

Re: Table talk

Post by Wreckage »

In my opinion it's legal to give any information you want to share with the whole group. This includes, maps, roles and, cards in your hand. However, any private messages, or speaking in a language the rest of the table doesn't understand should be considered illegal.

Part of the fun of the game is trying to communicate to your team while not giving too much useful information to the enemy.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Yes. We've had this conversation a few times. The only thing in the rules about sharing information is that you can't show your cards. You can SAY whatever you want. People can choose if they believe you. It can be frustrating to play with people who have a different level of table-talk expectation than you do, though, so you can use table notes to let people know if a table you are hosting is intended to be quiet or low-talk.
KlaatuBaradaNicough

Post by KlaatuBaradaNicough »

Playing this game without any table talk sounds really boring and even more luck-based than the game already is.

Also, if you're a digger, there is little reason not to immediately tell the truth when you peak at a goal card. Anyone who remains silent even after being asked is highly suspicious as it could be a saboteur deciding whether to be truthful or lie.
MasterMar

Post by MasterMar »

KlaatuBaradaNicough wrote: 27 April 2020, 20:38 Playing this game without any table talk sounds really boring and even more luck-based than the game already is.

Also, if you're a digger, there is little reason not to immediately tell the truth when you peak at a goal card. Anyone who remains silent even after being asked is highly suspicious as it could be a saboteur deciding whether to be truthful or lie.
On the other hand, when I've played the physical version of the game we don't really do this.

We do sometimes cheat and tell information privately :lol:
Angiepandaa

Post by Angiepandaa »

rspn wrote: 08 April 2020, 06:38 How much conversation is chat in deemed legal? Are we, for instance, allowed to give information about the location of gold etc? Asking despite this being fairly common, since one player got upset and quit because of this in one game.

any talk in general seems so bizarre to me. what is the point in playing if you just going to tell everyone? very weird. i won't be playing on here with this game
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

Angiepandaa wrote: 17 December 2020, 04:22 any talk in general seems so bizarre to me. what is the point in playing if you just going to tell everyone? very weird. i won't be playing on here with this game
What's the point of playing if you're not going to tell everybody stuff. In all my IRL experience with this game, that's a social deduction game you play with families and friend where everyone is saying stuff like "Please break HIS tools not MINE, I'm clearly in the same team as you!" or "I've double-checked what he said and he was lying, the gold in NOT here!". And if you played with more experience players, stuff like "I know you're on the same team as me, so if you repair my tools now, I can play a card here and reveal the goal cards, and hopefully we win the game."

I'm not sure I would even be interested to play this game online without vocal chat.
Szepalmokat

Post by Szepalmokat »

I've played regularly physically and here on bga but using a MS Teams call in parallel with my friends to discuss (we don't use the chat).
and every game looks exactly like MoiMagnus has described: a lot of interaction and a lot of laughs between the players, the saboteurs have to bluff a lot. :lol:
Maybe it's not as serious as you like it, Angiepandaa, but i think it's much much more funny like this. :D But I know you're not the first one that is annoyed by this way of playing :!:

IRC the rules, it's only forbidden to tell your own role and the amount of gold nuggets that you possess.
Yorgad

Post by Yorgad »

This topic was discussed already:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 449#p53449

Answer from BGA admin: "you are allowed to speak, to lie, or to say the truth."

What is not allowed is to reveal your role (i.e. your role card must remain face down), but that's all.

Cheers,
Y.

Return to “Saboteur”