Maximum number of players

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
RicarcdoTerminado

Maximum number of players

Post by RicarcdoTerminado »

Why is the maximum number of players 6?

The real game, and even the game instructions on the site, say you can play up to 8.

Thanks !
quietmint

Re: Maximum number of players

Post by quietmint »

No, the online version does match the physical board game release in the Unless States published by Indie Boards & Cards: A deck of 15 cards (5 characters with 3 copies each), so the maximum number of players is 6. Remember there must be some cards left in the deck for the Ambassador exchange power to occur and to prevent anyone from having complete information.

I suppose you could use 4 copies of each character to support 8 players (or 5 copies to support 11 players) but I think there are serious drawbacks. A big part of the game revolves around knowing there are only 3 copies of a card, which encourages players to take the risk of challenging. As the number of copies increases, it's harder to successfully challenge and that's going to change the balance of the game. Also, since the game is player-elimination, it will lengthen the time and number of people who are sitting out, waiting for the game to end.

I'll consider changing the online version to support 8 players in a future version, but I definitely wouldn't recommend playing this way due to both negatives above.
RicarcdoTerminado

Thanks for your speedy response.

So i'm used to playing the french version (called complots) which plays up to 8 people, I mistakenly thought it was a carbon copy of coup. These are the game rules I was referring to that are published on this website.
Partie pour 7 et 8 joueurs
À 7 et 8 joueurs, on utilise 20 cartes : 4 exemplaires de chacun
des 5 personnages choisis. Les règles ne changent pas.

Having played complots with 8 people it works well still, it would be a nice addition to the website if possible!
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

I've pushed an updated version that supports up to 8 players. Please file a bug here if you encounter any problem.
RicarcdoTerminado

Thanks a lot, I'll report any bugs if there are.

Pour info also there's an extension to complots called complots 2 with some more interesting roles. I could help translate them if needed for a future update...
__Mac__

Post by __Mac__ »

I know with the intro of the inquisitor/factions expansion by adding one of each role to the standard 15 card coup deck you can support more players.

That being said, I strongly agree with quietmint in that more than 5/6 players is.. a bit much BUT.. if 8 or more players is what your group enjoys then yeah, its a thing (:
I like Coup.

Return to “Coup”