Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

FAQ: new achievements & XP system

Post by sourisdudesert »

Note: achievements and XP will be visible starting April 16th. An official announcement will be made.

What is the XP?

XP (= experience points) is the measure of your overall progress on Board Game Arena.

It replaced the previous "Prestige points", and is very similar to the previous system.

What are the difference between XP and the old "Prestige"?

Like Prestige, you gain XP points each time you unlock an Achievement.

Unlike Prestige, you cannot lose XP points.

What are the Achievements? What are the differences with the previous Trophies?

Achievements are replacing the old "Trophies".

There are 2 main differences:
  • You cannot lose an achievement.
  • Some achievements are not linked to a particular game ("BGA achievements"). Example: "3 games discovered on BGA".

I don't care about this new XP system, and I don't like any kind of "metagame".

The BGA "metagame" is quite "light": this is just an achievement system similar to any other achievement system you can found anywhere else.

If you don't like it, you can ignore it and enjoy everything on BGA without any problem or constraint.

Why did you do this change?

We received many negative comments from players who lost some trophies and/or Prestige point.

In the previous system, many players had to "defend their positions" to keep their trophies. For the particular case of trophies linked to ELO, it encouraged some players to stop playing to maintain their positions / rank.

We don't want this anymore. We want to encourage you to continue to play after you reached a given position, and because of this we want to secure your achievements.

My XP points is totally different than my previous Prestige points? / I lost a lot of points during the update / Why my XP points are constantly changing ?

We re-evaluated the XP points that should be associated to all achievements, removed some achievements and created new ones. So obviously, your XP points are totally different than your previous Prestige points.

This is an ongoing process: in the following weeks, some adjustments will be made, new achievements will appear, and this is why your XP points may be quite unstable during a short period of time.

After the all these changes, obviously, some players will have a better position thanks to XP, and some players will have a worst position.

We know that this is not easy for you to loose a "top" position because the rules have changed, and we are sorry about that. However, we cannot change the rules without doing this, and we are confident that you'll manage to recover a very good position with the new rules.

Why does the same achievement bring a different number of XP points?

Some achievements are providing a different number of points depending on game characteristics.

Basically:
  • For achievements like "X games played" or "X victories", a game with an high duration brings more XP points.
  • For achievements like "Top Elo", a game with a lot of ranked players brings more XP points.
  • For achievements like "Top 1 Arena", a game with a lot of Arena players brings more XP points.
Where can I see the list of all available achievements?

We will introduce soon a way to see what are the next achievements you can get.

However, some achievements won't be visible until you get them ;)

Why did you remove some existing trophies?

Most of the previous "trophies" have a corresponding "achievements", and we add (or will add) many achievements.

Here's are the main changes for the old "trophies":

"Top ELO" trophies have been replaced with the "Top ELO reached" achievement. If you managed to get the best ELO for a given game, you get the "Top 1 ELO" achievement and you keep it forever. The reason of this change can be found in the "Why did you do this change?" question above.

"Top victories" and "Top played" trophies will be replaced by "daily/weekly/monthly top victories" and "X games played in 24 hours" achievements (and some others). Again, this has been done to replace a "defending attitude" by a "conquest attitude" for this achievement.

Where can I see my achievements?

A new page has been created, accessible from your personal menu (top right).

You can also see the achievements of any other player, from its profile page.

Why did you change the look of the achievements?

Because they are looking much nicer now :)

What about tournament trophies?

We are aware that some players was using the previous system to cheat the "Prestige" system by creating very small tournaments to gain a lot of points.

In some months, we are going to review and update the way XP points are computed for tournaments (with many other improvements for tournaments).

When this update will be made, all XP points linked to tournaments will be re-computed with the new rules.

In the meantime, the new rules are:
_ A tournament can bring a maximum of 300 XP.
_ A tournament with less than 10 players registered worth 0 XP.
_ The number of XP points bring by tournament has been slightly decreased.

Again: this is a temporary measure to make sure no one is using tournament to cheat the system. This will be updated again later.

I didn't get this new achievement while I met the conditions / Will the achievements be awarded based on my game/ranking history?

It will depends on the achievement kind, but as a rule of thumb, you will have to play at least one game to get all the achievements you deserve for this particular game.

Example: if you already have 1140 games played on Race for the Galaxy, you will have to play an additional game to get the "1000 games played" achievement.

However, some achievements will not be attributed retroactively for technical reasons. For example, the "Reached Top 1 ELO" achievement will only be attributed to the current ELO leaders (after 1 game played).

Why this is a BETA?

We intended to introduce the XP and all the achievements 2 weeks ago, way before the end of Season zero.

Since new achievements will be obviously introduced at the end of Season zero (for Arena season winners), we are indeed forced to introduce this new system before the end of the Season.

However, for 4 weeks now, our first priority have been to increase the capacity of the platform because of the current circumstances.

So basically, we didn't do everything that was planned to be done for this update: a lot of achievements are missing, and there are still some adjustment to be made.

However, as the feature is quite stable, we chose to release it in "BETA", and finalize it in the following weeks, thanks to your feedback.
Espina

Re: FAQ: new achievements & XP system

Post by Espina »

I can't quite tell based on what you wrote: Are you going to calculate these new "achievements" retroactively based on all past games?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

It will depends on the achievement kind, but as a rule of thumb, you will have to play at least one game to get all the achievements you deserve for this particular game.

Example: if you already have 1140 games played on Race for the Galaxy, you will have to play an additional game to get the "1000 games played" achievement.

However, some achievements will not be attributed retroactively for technical reasons. For example, the "Reached Top 1 ELO" achievement will only be attributed to the current ELO leaders (after 1 game played).
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

Bravo. Looking forward to the update and the 'conquest' over 'defense' focus.

Also, particularly glad to know fixing the tournament prestige abuse issues is on the list :-)
Brondahl

Post by Brondahl »

Have I correctly understood that I can't "do" anything with these XP points?

I don't get anything other than a warm fuzzy glow, and I can't use or spend them for anything?

Fine if so (as your FAQ says, I can just ignore them) but don't want to miss-out if there is something I can do.
chk1975

Post by chk1975 »

Is there a page where I can see what achievements are available?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

chk1975 wrote: 15 April 2020, 08:58 Is there a page where I can see what achievements are available?
We will introduce soon a way to see what are the next achievements you can get.

However, some achievements won't be visible until you get them ;)

Brondahl wrote: 15 April 2020, 08:48 Have I correctly understood that I can't "do" anything with these XP points?

I don't get anything other than a warm fuzzy glow, and I can't use or spend them for anything?
Absolutely. XP is just here for the "fame", and if you don't care about that, you can ignore it. Unlike other services, we don't force you to use our "metagame" if you don't want to.
hasi6562

Post by hasi6562 »

hallo,
sieht ja toll aus. bin begeistert. danke
:P
gayak

Post by gayak »

I like it! Are you going to add levels too? We cannot have XP without levels :mrgreen:
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

gayak wrote: 15 April 2020, 09:41 Are you going to add levels too? We cannot have XP without levels
You are reading our minds :)

Return to “Discussions”