FAQ: Arena mode

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
pv666

Re: FAQ: Arena mode

Post by pv666 »

Jellby wrote: 14 December 2021, 18:33 You also gain regular ELO from Arena games, don't you?
sure, but I play Arena to take part in the Arena competition.
Just for general Elo I could play a normal game.
ck425

Post by ck425 »

Could someone explain how arena points work when you lose or come 2nd in a multiplayer game? And how they work when you win or lose again higher league players? The examples in the FAQ only explain the points you get for winning against players in your league or lower.

As an example I just finished this game:
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=227888363

I can 2nd but got +1 arena point. Could someone break it down for me?

Also how do I tell what league my opponents are in? I know I'm in bronze and I *think* the symbol next to my gained points means bronze, implying Palapapa was also bronze. But I've no idea about Baldur1984.
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

Here is how I understand things to work.

The basic rules in a 2 players Arena game are:
  • + 3 Arena points if you win,
or
  • - 3 Arena points if you lose,
and there is a x Arena points adjustment for difference between the opponent's league and your league.
(Note that if you are an Elite player, that's a different system. Also you cannot downgrade to the league below during a season, and when upgrading to upper league you start with 1 Arena point in this league.)

For an Arena game with more than 2 players, it is counted as the average of playing at the same time a 1 vs 1 game against each opponent.

Example of your mentionned result (https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=227888363).
You lost (-3) against the player ending in 1st position, who was 2 leagues above you (x = +2), so -3 +2 = -1.
You won (-3) against the player ending in 3rd position, who was in the same league (x = 0), so +3 +0 = +3.
The average of the results for the 2 opponents: (-1 + 3) / 2 = +1.

Yes, the color of the hexagon symbol tells you the league (brown = bronze, purple = elite).

You can check on the game Arena page how many leagues there are for each season and their name and order. About your mentionned result, there were three leagues in this order: bronze, silver, elite (see https://boardgamearena.com/halloffame?g ... 3&season=7).
billcrps32

Post by billcrps32 »

blockmonoid

Post by blockmonoid »

How is it determined how many tiers a game has in Arena? I'm a guru for several games and I don't think that has never come up for a vote when we discuss a new season's settings. Currently, the number of tiers does not seem to correspond at all to the number of Arena players for the game. Here's a sampling of games I'm familiar with.

Season 7 numbers: (game, # players, top tier before Elite)

Can't Stop, 8228 players, Diamond
6 Nimmt, 6332 players, Platinum
CuBirds, 3451 players, Gold
Sushi Go!, 2783 players, Gold
Lost Cities, 2443 players, Diamond
Patchwork, 2379 players, Platinum
Potion Explosion, 1949 players, Gold
LLAMA, 1926 players, Gold
For Sale, 1049 players, Gold
Innovation, 729 players, Platinum
No Thanks!, 389 players, Gold

What stands out to me in this list is CuBirds and Sushi Go! being only Gold, 6 Nimmt being only Platinum, and Innovation being Platinum. Those seem far off from similarly popular games. Someone elsewhere in the forums ( https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... um#p103638 ) complained about Castles of Burgundy only having Gold as the highest tier, but I don't play that game, so can't see the numbers.
Smeg

Post by Smeg »

pabula wrote: 29 September 2021, 11:33 Why there is so many game for 4-5 players and in Arena you play it as 2-player?
Example: Caylus, Keyflower, Tzolkin, La Granja, Spyrium, Russian Railroads.
Honestly - I do not play them in Arena just because of that.
I prefer playing games with more players when we can.
And when I'm not playing it as 2-player I can't be a Guru of this game and I can't vote for it.
So players who like playing it 2-players will still vote to keep it as it is.
That's not fair.
Yep. The top players generally play 2 player games, that's how they get to the top. Having them choose the Arena settings is only going to lead to more games set at 2 players.

I noticed Luxor has now changed from 3 to 2 players. I tried a game and my first opponent of the season was an elite league expert. The filter options don't even work.

Arena is now "Play a family board game in two player mode against experts"

Why not let everyone vote for settings? Maybe there are plenty others like me and you who don't really play Arena because we think more players is more fun than getting schooled 1v1 by someone with 1000 games under their belt.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

blockmonoid wrote: 18 January 2022, 19:17 How is it determined how many tiers a game has in Arena? I'm a guru for several games and I don't think that has never come up for a vote when we discuss a new season's settings. Currently, the number of tiers does not seem to correspond at all to the number of Arena players for the game. Here's a sampling of games I'm familiar with.

Season 7 numbers: (game, # players, top tier before Elite)

Can't Stop, 8228 players, Diamond
6 Nimmt, 6332 players, Platinum
CuBirds, 3451 players, Gold
Sushi Go!, 2783 players, Gold
Lost Cities, 2443 players, Diamond
Patchwork, 2379 players, Platinum
Potion Explosion, 1949 players, Gold
LLAMA, 1926 players, Gold
For Sale, 1049 players, Gold
Innovation, 729 players, Platinum
No Thanks!, 389 players, Gold

What stands out to me in this list is CuBirds and Sushi Go! being only Gold, 6 Nimmt being only Platinum, and Innovation being Platinum. Those seem far off from similarly popular games. Someone elsewhere in the forums ( https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... um#p103638 ) complained about Castles of Burgundy only having Gold as the highest tier, but I don't play that game, so can't see the numbers.
I think it’s down to how hard it is to get to Elite not just popularity - for example Sushi Go! Is a 4 player game with a reasonable amount of luck so it would be very hard to get to elite if you had all the tiers. Whereas Lost cities is 2 player so it’s easier to progress.

I’d love to know the exact rule! It seems they like about half the players who get beyond bronze to get to elite.
Czochrun

Post by Czochrun »

Hello!
When you go to specific game (in arena mode) you can follow your Arena mode stats. On the left you have actual rank, on the right historical rank. But what for? Now we have season 8th, right? So what's the point of "My Arena History" when I can compare... what? Season 7th which has ended. Another two are current season -> but no results yet... and next season which will be start on... april. Ofcourse I can see my previous seasons but I have to click "View all seasons" and then click to season 6... then click to season 5... I can't compare it on one site...
Sooo my question. What is the point of "My Arena History"????
bamf226

Post by bamf226 »

Is there a way for us to see what settings are being used for a game in arena mode? The settings seem to change from season to season. For example, Koi-koi is now back to half a year (whole year last season) and rain ruins the party (not active last season). Would be nice to know these things in advance, but I don't see them listed anywhere. had to find out in-game.
Smeg

Post by Smeg »

bamf226 wrote: 24 January 2022, 23:15 Is there a way for us to see what settings are being used for a game in arena mode? The settings seem to change from season to season. For example, Koi-koi is now back to half a year (whole year last season) and rain ruins the party (not active last season). Would be nice to know these things in advance, but I don't see them listed anywhere. had to find out in-game.
https://boardgamearena.com/gamelist/gam ... l?season=8

Return to “Discussions”