Friend only mode + Step by step menu on lobby page

What's new on BGA ?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Friend only mode + Step by step menu on lobby page

Post by sourisdudesert »

We introduced today a new lobby mode: "Friends only".

By selecting this mode:
  • Your table is limited to your friends. Ie: even if one of your friend refuses to play, another player cannot take its seat.
  • Default is training mode, so this way you have no penalties and no time limit when playing with friends.
More and more of you are using BGA to play with friends only, and we received a lot of complaints from players taking penalties when playing with friends. The problem with unknown players joining tables after a friend refuses to join is also something that many turn based players are asking for a long time.

We hope that this new mode is going to solve both problems.

We also introduced a "step by step" menu for new players and for players who didn't play from a long time on BGA (+ you will see it at least once if you visit the website these days).

Many players are complaining about "being blocked in the Arena mode" or "do not find the Arena / Tournament mode", or did not understand that there is an "automatic" and a "manual" lobby. This "step by step" menu is here to help them to learn how this it working.
waxje

Re: Friend only mode + Step by step menu on lobby page

Post by waxje »

Good additions :). Altough i get the choice menu every time i want to pick a game. I play alternate on pc, tablet and cellphone. I already know how the menu works. Maybe a tickbox to save prefference in a cookie?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

waxje wrote: 24 April 2020, 17:16 Good additions . Altough i get the choice menu every time i want to pick a game
Once you've finished at least a game it is gone.
waxje

Post by waxje »

Never had any games stick. But then again, i've only joined recently :)
Red Nebula

Post by Red Nebula »

I have a trouble with this mode. When I create a new table using the "Friends only" mode and a player quickly accept it, I'm not able any more to modify the table configuration. I would like to have some time to set the table configuration prior to let my friends to accept the invite.
Thanks for this new mode :)
elgaucholoco

Post by elgaucholoco »

I can't launch any game from the game description anymore as before. I have to go through the "play" menu but it is pretty difficult to access the games that I haven't played yet, is it a change induced by this new feature? It's quite frustrating. Even though when Ia go through the "play" menu and I clik on the "show me all the games" option, I then. get to the game without the launch button, why is that? Is it a bug link to my profile or other peoplae get the same problem?
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

elgaucholoco wrote: 27 April 2020, 03:57 I can't launch any game from the game description anymore as before. I have to go through the "play" menu but it is pretty difficult to access the games that I haven't played yet, is it a change induced by this new feature? It's quite frustrating. Even though when Ia go through the "play" menu and I clik on the "show me all the games" option, I then. get to the game without the launch button, why is that? Is it a bug link to my profile or other peoplae get the same problem?
It is a problem for all users, not just you. I filed a complaint here: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=16272
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

The purpose of the page "Games" is to find a game you want to play, and add it to your favorite. After that, you can play it from the "Play" section.

Having a "play" button on game pages was confusing, as you couldn't know what was going to happen (realtime? turnbased? arena? with friends?).
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

But missing the button is so much worse. It feels like I'm unable to play the game at all. The user is thinking: Is my account broken? Is this game unavailable? Was the game removed? Do I need a premium membership? Etc. In all cases, the end result is the appearance that something is wrong.

Please put a "Play" button back on the game page. It's the most obvious reason why I'm coming to that page.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

quietmint wrote: 27 April 2020, 23:16 But missing the button is so much worse. It feels like I'm unable to play the game at all. The user is thinking: Is my account broken? Is this game unavailable? Was the game removed? Do I need a premium membership? Etc. In all cases, the end result is the appearance that something is wrong.

Please put a "Play" button back on the game page. It's the most obvious reason why I'm coming to that page.
I agree with this notion. If you are at a page in which you would assume you could start a game from and it only presents you with the option to favorite it, it would appear to be a 'wishlist' function.
Why would I be at a site that only allows me to add games to a list?

The more steps you have to take to achieve something the more people you will lose along the way.
-
Related bug report/suggestion: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=16272
Last edited by N_Faker on 01 May 2020, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “BGA release notes”