Switch Arena Mode to 3 rounds

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Brisbane Roar

Switch Arena Mode to 3 rounds

Post by Brisbane Roar »

Hi, I am strongly recommending to switch Lost Cities Arena Mode to 3 rounds. Hope to see other comments and opinions below!
kwojtasz

Re: Switch Arena Mode to 3 rounds

Post by kwojtasz »

Could try it a season like 7 wonders 3pl and 4pl change and see which format draws the most gamed played?
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

Personally I like 3 rounds with friends but 1 for Arena
nmego

Post by nmego »

Hmm, I also seem to prefer 3-rounds for friendly matches and 1-round for arena. I wonder why..

Although it is obvious that 3-rounds is more strategic, and therefore healthier for the Arena mode.. There might be a conceivable case for 1-round arena:
----------------
A 1-round game takes 1/3 the time. So, if the matchmaking is quick enough, you should be able to play 2-3 1-round games instead of 1 3-round game at the same time. Now, the point of a 3-round game is to make up for the luck-element. So if someone gets a headstart early due to a good hand, there is still a chance to turn the tables.

If we're expecting luck to even out in 3 rounds for a 3-round matchup. Then we can just make a similar case for 3 games of 1-round matchup. So, if I'm not wrong. A 3-round matchup is technically equivalent to 3 games of 1-round. Since luck for each round is completely independent (So the loser/winner doesn't get an inherent advantage for being behind/ahead)

But here's the thing, for that purpose, 3 single round games are better, because in a 3-round game, someone who gets extremely lucky in the first round keeps their massive lead in rounds 2/3. But that's not the case for multiple single round games.

Also, many players (me included) occasionally use Arena mode as a quick way to get into game. For that purpose, a quick game of 1-round lost cities fits the bill nicely.
-------------
This is what I could think of as arguments for the 1-round mode. Thoughts?
The Luggage

Post by The Luggage »

Arena Mode is supposed to be the competitive mode for players to try to be the best player of that season. It makes sense that the more competitive (less luck-based) option is available for Lost Cities in Arena.

3-round games would make the game longer, sure, but that isn't much of a problem here as Lost Cities is quite a short game anyway.

Players who wish to play the more luck-based 1-round games can still do so in Simple Mode, of course.

So, contrary to what I said a few months ago, I totally think Lost Cities Arena should permanently be 3 rounds in Arena Mode.

Concerning one 3-round game being more luck-based than 3 1-round games, that doesn't quite work when you factor in ELO. When a player has a high ELO and is trying to get #1, for example, three 1-round games could wreck her/his ELO, where one 3-round game is less likely to because of (bad) luck.

Edit: typo, changed "less" to "more".
Last edited by The Luggage on 02 July 2020, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

Not that I play this competitively, but concur best of 3 is better.
nmego

Post by nmego »

The Luggage wrote: 01 July 2020, 01:17 Concerning one 3-round game being less luck-based than 3 1-round games, that doesn't quite work when you factor in ELO. When a player has a high ELO and is trying to get #1, for example, three 1-round games could wreck her/his ELO, where one 3-round game is less likely to because of (bad) luck.
I said that one 3-round game is MORE luck-based than 3x 1-round games. While taking approximately the same amount of time. Games where you have multiple rounds are a bit tricky to figure out.

I agree with the ELO thing being more volatile in a 1-round game though. (Therefore the same argument applies to EAS).

What's more to that is that the waiting time for lost cities isn't negligible. Then, I'd agree that 3-rounds is definitely the superior choice for arena, mainly because of those two factors.
The Luggage

Post by The Luggage »

nmego wrote: 01 July 2020, 02:21
The Luggage wrote: 01 July 2020, 01:17 Concerning one 3-round game being less luck-based than 3 1-round games, that doesn't quite work when you factor in ELO. When a player has a high ELO and is trying to get #1, for example, three 1-round games could wreck her/his ELO, where one 3-round game is less likely to because of (bad) luck.
I said that one 3-round game is MORE...
Thanks! Edited :D
Finglove

Post by Finglove »

Three rounds makes for a much more competitive game - with a single round, a very small point difference leads to huge swings in elo/ranking, whereas this gets evened out over several rounds.

I'd suggest an expert player playing against 'good' players might achieve a win rate of about 55% on single games - the number of games needed to play to climb through leagues and achieve a good ranking is therefore ridiculous!
criticandfan

Post by criticandfan »

Agreed, 3 rounds is much preferable. It changes play style for the better - you don't have to hoard your 10's for a final play if you know there's another round coming to even out the score.

Return to “Lost Cities”