Auto-start + spectators chat + many little things (May 8th update)

What's new on BGA ?
Deranged

Re: Auto-start + spectators chat + many little things (May 8th update)

Post by Deranged »

Shaid wrote: 22 May 2020, 05:45Still, I thank you for everything that is done by them here at BGA, but I ask you to follow up with a little more affection for feedbacks, I come here every day to see if they answered anything about it.
Same.

And yeah, 1 in 3000 seems about right - but whether or not the baseline is set to talk or not, we should be able to toggle that. Individually or for all spectators, only by the table manager or by everyone, those are specifics we can discuss (or the admins can discuss them privately) - but that there should be some form of toggle seems to me to be the main point.

Happy at least a few people agree with me ^^.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

Panterpe wrote: 21 May 2020, 19:41
Wreckage wrote: 21 May 2020, 13:51 One button to allow or disallow, fine. But hopefully the default is that we can talk, since the likelihood of someone causing a problem is about 1 in every 3000 tables.
No I do not believe your statistics of 1 in 3000 tables. I have trouble with auto-start and not able to chat even before the game start all the time. Please read through the thread and see how many people are complaining and how few are supporting.
I think you and I are in agreement. I am saying 1of 3000 tables we ''might'' toggle chat off because someone is being offensive. 2999 of 3000 tables we need it on.

I imagine the staff doesn't want to answer until they know exactly how to handle the issue. I really wish during the time they are deciding that chat was turned back on. Even the ''play with friends'' chat box doesn't work when people are in a game.
Deranged

Post by Deranged »

We are not the only ones! Time for the silent majority to let itself known :).

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 508#p59508
Deranged

Post by Deranged »

On my request, Jen added a poll for Autostart-haters as well!

https://surveyhero.com/c/a742c6ec

Autostart-lovers are also welcome. Prove me wrong!
Caninski_Jen

Post by Caninski_Jen »

Deranged wrote: 25 May 2020, 10:37 On my request, Jen added a poll for Autostart-haters as well!

voted ;)
alextingle

Post by alextingle »

The auto-start change has just annoyed me enough to force me to come and complain in this thread.

I was starting a game for my friends. I invited the players, and then started having a discussion about which options we wanted... but BANG! auto start kicked us straight into the game before we'd even had a chance to consider. How are we supposed to discuss the options before we've actually gathered around the table??

I just cannot understand why anyone would want to auto-start the game. If the table owner is absent, then the game's not going to happen anyway. So why force everyone to sit in the "Accept" screen?

(I also dislike the spectator chat change. Chatting is a big part of the site, so why make it harder? Make it easy to mute troublesome players, but don't mute everyone.)
Deranged

Post by Deranged »

Caninski_Jen wrote: 25 May 2020, 10:37
Deranged wrote: 25 May 2020, 10:37 On my request, Jen added a poll for Autostart-haters as well!

voted ;)
Well I would have been surprised if you hadn't :).
alextingle wrote: 25 May 2020, 12:44 The auto-start change has just annoyed me enough to force me to come and complain in this thread.
Same! Vote against it, and we may see a return to form!
Panterpe

Post by Panterpe »

Wreckage wrote: 22 May 2020, 13:59
Panterpe wrote: 21 May 2020, 19:41
Wreckage wrote: 21 May 2020, 13:51 One button to allow or disallow, fine. But hopefully the default is that we can talk, since the likelihood of someone causing a problem is about 1 in every 3000 tables.
No I do not believe your statistics of 1 in 3000 tables. I have trouble with auto-start and not able to chat even before the game start all the time. Please read through the thread and see how many people are complaining and how few are supporting.
I think you and I are in agreement. I am saying 1of 3000 tables we ''might'' toggle chat off because someone is being offensive. 2999 of 3000 tables we need it on.

I imagine the staff doesn't want to answer until they know exactly how to handle the issue. I really wish during the time they are deciding that chat was turned back on. Even the ''play with friends'' chat box doesn't work when people are in a game.
Sorry my English failed me :(
Panterpe

Post by Panterpe »

Deranged wrote: 25 May 2020, 13:47
Caninski_Jen wrote: 25 May 2020, 10:37

voted ;)
Well I would have been surprised if you hadn't :).
alextingle wrote: 25 May 2020, 12:44 The auto-start change has just annoyed me enough to force me to come and complain in this thread.
Same! Vote against it, and we may see a return to form!
How does one check the poll results? I suspect that there is something going on, given the situation that the dev team did these two changes all at once without asking for opinions. It could be the same reason they reluctant to reply to this thread. But I do not know what is it.
Deranged

Post by Deranged »

IDK, you'd have to ask Jen for updates.

Nothing a spectator does could be so heinous that it can not be stopped by kicking them from your table - and nothing they do preclude us from having the option to hear our friends. I mean are we talking about some exorcist level verbal bile and gore being spewed all over our tables? If so, I don't think the admins would be so secretive, they'd just say "Okay guys, some people have been VERY naughty. Much like in the General Messages, spectator chat is now temporarily blocked."

And nothing, nothing can be gained by autostart, except my neighbors were introduced to some new words and concepts every time it happens. You either start the actual game without asking if everyone's ready, so no fancy OK button (I mean if you're policing us that bad why ask permission afterwards), or you do nothing. Now you send us into limbo where we can't do anything, and the site freezes, all because you weren't quick enough to add someone who (despite all the obstacles) managed to convey that they wanted to join your table in the half-second it took for some guy to jump in.

Yes I've stated my case before. But what could be going on that is so bad, that they had to resort to this?

Return to “BGA release notes”