Auto-start + spectators chat + many little things (May 8th update)

What's new on BGA ?
beri

Re: Auto-start + spectators chat + many little things (May 8th update)

Post by beri »

Seriously, please revert to allowing spectator chat ASAP, while enabling players to actively ban particular spectators on a case-by-case basis.
Atm, you can’t even chat before the game without joining!
TheWizaard

Post by TheWizaard »

I'm very upset about not allowing spectator chat, it was one of our favorite features. I'm a Premium member and have brought many, many friends to this site who are also now Premium members. We do a lot of tournaments and it was our favorite thing to be able to watch each other's games and cheer one another on, and answer rules questions. At the very least your Friends should be able to spectate chat, I can't see any problem why you wouldn't want one of your friends to be able to join in on the chat in your games. I really hope you reverse this as soon as possible, we all miss it so much!

Thanks for your wonderful site and all your hard work!
wentley

Post by wentley »

It seems to me that there's two basic divisions in the replies here. Between social players and players who 'don't want to be bothered'. And patient and impatient players. The first group hate the idea of banning spectators, the second somewhat grumpily endorses it. The third group realise that sometimes games take a while to start, or hosts disappear. The fourth group just want to get on with things regardless.

In the end there are all kinds of players, and its hard to please everyone. But its probably not a good idea to respond to problems which only one portion of gamers see as a problem, only to annoy another section. If there must be changes, then they should be at the option of the table creator. Particularly this would seem better for a spectator chat ban.

The auto-start just seems like a bad idea. If it actually worked to speed things up, this might be desirable for some. However it seems likely to just end in more confusion and false starts, which will waste more people's time. It won't stop the problem of hosts setting up games, and then disappearing. Maybe that would work better with some social pressure or reccomendation not to do that.
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

(I copied my post from the ​ "prohibiting spectator chat" ​ thread to here.)

I am thoroughly annoyed at the current prohibition on spectator chat.
The one part that makes some sense to me, is preventing spectator chat _during the games_.

Even for during the games, players should at least be able to choose to allow spectator chat.
For that, I'd prefer a default of allowing spectator chat.

Note that this would _not_ prevent a 2-layer system:
This site could allow an account-level choice,
which determines the starting value for each table.

However, the current prohibition _also_ applies

(a) ​ after the game is finished
and
(b) ​ while waiting for enough players to join

For determining where I play, even if it does not decrease the number
of people here, the prohibition continuing to apply to (a) and/or (b)
would at least cancel out the larger number of people here.
Deranged

Post by Deranged »

Ok 12 days and no official reply.

Can you tell we are pissed at this debacle of an update? Do you even read these fora at all? Do our voices, and of those who play with us, even matter in the slightest? At least one person has demanded a refund, and that's pretty serious. Out of 8 pages there's no more than a handful of people who agree, and a lot of people who vehemently disagree.

Ok so there's probably on thing we can do, dear fellow readers. Mobilize. If you hear people complaining (well, if you can hear them at all, that is) send them here.

@Souris and other admins: We don't need to go back to the old days where anyone could just talk all the time. If people are bothered by that, then those problems should be addressed, certainly. But we HAVE offered solutions aplenty. I still think allowing people to talk with a toggle, just like forcing to be quiet with an X, is non intrusive, instinctive, and should be easy enough to implement. You don't need any fancy table settings beforehand. Someone comes in, you click the +button next to them to allow them to speak, and - them to disallow them to speak (or x them from the table if needed).

Many, MANY other solutions have bee offered, from table settings to a giant silence button to a separate chat. They've been put forth with arguments, anekdotes, and quite often with great passion.

And I, for one, anxiously await your response.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

One button to allow or disallow, fine. But hopefully the default is that we can talk, since the likelihood of someone causing a problem is about 1 in every 3000 tables.
Panterpe

Post by Panterpe »

Yep, I am surprised too. Especially when the dev team talked as if they were addressing someone's concern about an auto-click or chat issue. However, when there is such a long thread of concerning, no one from the admin group cares to reply. Sigh.
Deranged wrote: 20 May 2020, 17:14 Ok 12 days and no official reply.

Can you tell we are pissed at this debacle of an update? Do you even read these fora at all? Do our voices, and of those who play with us, even matter in the slightest? At least one person has demanded a refund, and that's pretty serious. Out of 8 pages there's no more than a handful of people who agree, and a lot of people who vehemently disagree.

Ok so there's probably on thing we can do, dear fellow readers. Mobilize. If you hear people complaining (well, if you can hear them at all, that is) send them here.

@Souris and other admins: We don't need to go back to the old days where anyone could just talk all the time. If people are bothered by that, then those problems should be addressed, certainly. But we HAVE offered solutions aplenty. I still think allowing people to talk with a toggle, just like forcing to be quiet with an X, is non intrusive, instinctive, and should be easy enough to implement. You don't need any fancy table settings beforehand. Someone comes in, you click the +button next to them to allow them to speak, and - them to disallow them to speak (or x them from the table if needed).

Many, MANY other solutions have bee offered, from table settings to a giant silence button to a separate chat. They've been put forth with arguments, anekdotes, and quite often with great passion.

And I, for one, anxiously await your response.
Panterpe

Post by Panterpe »

Wreckage wrote: 21 May 2020, 13:51 One button to allow or disallow, fine. But hopefully the default is that we can talk, since the likelihood of someone causing a problem is about 1 in every 3000 tables.
No I do not believe your statistics of 1 in 3000 tables. I have trouble with auto-start and not able to chat even before the game start all the time. Please read through the thread and see how many people are complaining and how few are supporting.
Shaid

Post by Shaid »

Panterpe wrote: 21 May 2020, 19:41 No I do not believe your statistics of 1 in 3000 tables. I have trouble with auto-start and not able to chat even before the game start all the time. Please read through the thread and see how many people are complaining and how few are supporting.
I believe you are on the same side, saying the same thing. Unless my limited English is deceiving me.
Shaid

Post by Shaid »

And I'm also very disappointed that they haven't answered that topic until today. Mainly because the topic creator was one of the administrators. I imagine it is complicated to follow everything that happens, but this topic was created by them, more than 10 days ago.

Still, I thank you for everything that is done by them here at BGA, but I ask you to follow up with a little more affection for feedbacks, I come here every day to see if they answered anything about it.

Return to “BGA release notes”