Auto-start + spectators chat + many little things (May 8th update)

What's new on BGA ?
Panterpe

Re: Auto-start + spectators chat + many little things (May 8th update)

Post by Panterpe »

I am lost. What can this auto-start fix? Everyone in the game still need to accept right? If one is afk or refuse to click start, will he accept the game? Either yes or no, I think the answer to these two questions should be the same. I don't think this is a good change. At least not logically.
Panterpe

Post by Panterpe »

sourisdudesert wrote: 08 May 2020, 10:14 A lot of you are complaining about players who are creating tables in manual mode, but never click on "Start" button, even if the table is full.
With respect, I believe: a lot of people might be complaining about players who are creating tables in manual mode, but never START, even if the table is full. I do not think the fix is to bring players to the next phase that still does not START the game, just one click further does not help dealing with the root cause, that is, if the table initiator does not want to start, then the game won't start. You can see now a lot of people in this thread along are against this new change. The problem it brings are obvious. I am disappointed you guys bring this feature without considering it thoroughly. Or maybe you guys have other concerns, but reluctant to give it out. I wish next time at least give it a poll in the forum. I don't see a lot of pros here but only cons. I think you can avoid this shtstorm by polling first.
BryceS

Post by BryceS »

So my problem with auto start is that I have three friends selected as a group. The likelyhood is that we will play several games in a row, so they are likely to accept invites quickly.

When I select to play a 4-player game, they all join and the game then autostarts immediately without any chance to chat and agree the game settings.

Can we please have the option to turn Auto-start off? Especially when only playing with friends. Or at least have a count-down timer before autostarting which allows a minimum time for the host of the table to check the settings. 30 seconds would perhaps be a good balance in addressing the problem you were trying to solve , while still giving at least some time to make changes to game settings.

The most common setting I want to change is to turn Training Mode off. Being able to turn off Training Mode by default when using Friends mode would also at least partially alleviate the problem, but Friends mode and Auto-start really don't work well together.
enoryt

Post by enoryt »

Find a way to permit chatting as a spectator at your friend’s tables, or refund my money. This is not the same ‘social gaming site’ I paid for.
augustjologs

Post by augustjologs »

BryceS wrote: 14 May 2020, 22:20 Or at least have a count-down timer before autostarting which allows a minimum time for the host of the table to check the settings. 30 seconds would perhaps be a good balance in addressing the problem you were trying to solve , while still giving at least some time to make changes to game settings.
Can you still change the setting after some players have already joined the table? I don't think you could (or maybe just in turn-based games you can't) and it might be unfair for some players who've already joined and then find that the setting was changed. Since the most common complaint against auto-start is the table host cannot expel the last player to join, then perhaps a brief timer delay to auto-start would be solve this problem, to give them time to see and expel anyone.
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

It routinely gets stuck on the Accept Reject page and I have to go to another window and hit F5. I typically have
more than 1 open.

It also would help to not cancel other games open until everyone hits Accept as there is a significant quit rate.
Auto Start is good because some quit if you don't start quick.
Last edited by asd123321 on 16 May 2020, 00:46, edited 2 times in total.
DoctorPelusa

Post by DoctorPelusa »

asd123321 wrote: 15 May 2020, 16:20 It routinely gets stuck on the Accept Reject page and I have to go to another window and hit F5.
This happens to me often too, especially if I have BGA open in more than 1 tab
Jeromie

Post by Jeromie »

sourisdudesert wrote: 08 May 2020, 10:14 Auto-start

A lot of you are complaining about players who are creating tables in manual mode, but never click on "Start" button, even if the table is full.

Now, when a realtime game table is full, you go automatically to the "accept game start" screen.
I don't think the number of complains should be deciding but you can count me in the people complaining about the autostart: it's more annoying than useful. At least add a delay.
NerveSniper

Post by NerveSniper »

I just now had two friends at a hanabi table. Can't chat! So I leave. One of them asks if I can help the other who is still learning the game. So I go to the new player's page and open a chat window by saying ''hi''. Then I go to the game table. Of course the chat window is not there. So I go back to her page to open a chat again and say ''wait 5 seconds and then say something'' She does and we have an open chat window at the table, whew!!

It would be nice to be able to talk to both of them, but apparently that's a pipe dream. I ask her to start voice chat because she is a premium member. She does, but there's a glitch and it didn't give me an option to join the audio chat, ok, that's not the site's fault. But, it makes me go back a page to see what the problem might be. Then I come back to the table. Now my private chat window is gone again.

So, I could go to my friend's page and start a new chat....tell her to delay in answering me again...go to the table and hopefully, start helping her with her game, but they are already down to 20 cards left in the deck. So I decided to give up.

The work-around required to get a chat to help a player learn a game is just TOO frustrating. Suggestion: how about if I could just talk at the table?
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

As it usually happens in life - we, who were happy, did not express our happiness to sitekeepers. So some, who complained, made an impression spectators chat should be closed. I guess admins are surprised now that so many people wants chat back.

Return to “BGA release notes”