Is Annoraner cheating?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Elijah Six

Is Annoraner cheating?

Post by Elijah Six »

I mean,

he played 192 games against Oduvanchik and won all of them!

He played 71 games against cagrat and won most of them (all recently)!

He played 61 games against mulla1968 and lost 6 times (in 2019) and won all recently!

In games where you see he won't win, they're abandoned by everyone.

Ehm... Ok.

I became number 1 (in the year 2014) by winning against the previous number 1 (coloombe). That were great times!

But yeah, ok. Looks like there are people who plays differently nowadays. :lol:
N_Faker

Re: Is Annoraner cheating?

Post by N_Faker »

Elijah Six wrote: 10 May 2020, 10:16 In games where you see he won't win, they're abandoned by everyone.
They were abandoned because no moves were played for ~60 days, all of the recent games that were abandoned in this way were on Annoraner's turn. In all instances, of those recent games, the score wasn't in Annoraner's favor.
diamant

Post by diamant »

ELO points are useful for classifying a set of players that does not include one or more subsets of players without interaction with members that do not belong to that subset.
If such a subset exists, it should have its own ELO system. Because, even within a group of completely poor players, there can be a hierarchy.

Of course, such a cluster should not affect the ranking of players who are not part of it. That’s what happens on BGA, from what you report.

The solution seems simple to me: there must be a limit to the number of ELO points you can win against a given opponent. If a player has obtained half of his ELO points against a single opponent, it is clear that he is diverting the ELO points calculation system by placing it outside its range of validity: that’s what I call cheating.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

diamant wrote: 10 May 2020, 16:45 That’s what happens on BGA, from what you report.
No, that is what you concluded from something that has a weak relation to the issue you mentioned.
goonzo

Post by goonzo »

Looks suspicious but I guess he likes to play with the same friends? Nothing wrong with that.
All I can say is that I've played against Annoraner nine times and won six of them - all in 2019 I think.
So this behaviour you're talking about got to be recent as you say.
If the system allows you to drop out of a game and lose less ranking points compared to if you finish the game not winning, then I blame the system. He's just smart trying to complete his agenda. But if he constantly drops out of games he cannot win, then eventually no one wants to play with him. his loss?
/M
diamant

Post by diamant »

N_Faker wrote: 10 May 2020, 17:02No, that is what you concluded from something that has a weak relation to the issue you mentioned.
I am not responding to your message, but to that of the initiator of the thread.
You seem to me to be in no position to judge the relation of the messages with the subject of the thread, especially when you are sparing an argument.
Trev

Post by Trev »

I stopped playing Expedition NorthWest passage after Annoraner refused to finish a game because he was coming last. The game was close to the end.

https://boardgamearena.com/archive/repl ... ts=2041187; Click on >| to see the position when Annoraner stopped playing.

Note that he was able to play numerous other games on BGA during the period that the game lapsed. He also ignored a message I sent. Clearly this was no accident,

The modus operandi ... play noobs with unlimited time and if he wins, great, and if he loses, he refuses to finish the game and it lapses ... the rating only goes up.

My experience is Annoraner is gaming the rating system and it is a pity that this has resulted in him being rated number one.
cammuppetry

Post by cammuppetry »

Trev is right. I'm a newbie and he got me in two games. One he stopped playing in as the third player was about to win. In the over two weeks in which he hasn't played in the first he has in the other game (which I think he is winning.)

What I don't understand is what satisfaction he gets out of this.
diamant

Post by diamant »

cammuppetry wrote: 03 August 2020, 19:06Trev is right. I'm a newbie and he got me in two games. One he stopped playing in as the third player was about to win. In the over two weeks in which he hasn't played in the first he has in the other game (which I think he is winning.)

What I don't understand is what satisfaction he gets out of this.
I would like to understand why you joined this table (https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=94082250 ), when a warning banner recommends that you only play with friends at a table set to "no time limit".
Annoraner is he your friend?
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

diamant wrote: 06 August 2020, 15:19
There aren't many players for this game and therefore few tables. Most people actually play games they join to completion even if they are in last place.

Don't you try to put the blame on those who just wanted to play a game while Annoraner is exploiting site functions for his own ends.

Return to “Expedition: Northwest Passage”