I really like Love Letter except for one thing... GUARDS

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Earthboundia

Re: I really like Love Letter except for one thing... GUARDS

Post by Earthboundia »

pookie_wocket wrote: 18 May 2020, 02:32 I really like Love Letter. It is a rare game that sometimes even when I lose I am smiling, because of the clever way it happened. The game causes situations with fun plot twists and back stabs. I love this! Even when I am the one whose back got stabbed.

But there is one exception to this: the "Guard" mechanic. Being knocked out of a round because someone was lucky and guessed what card you have by pure chance sucks.

Of course sometimes another player will play the Guard against you because through careful observation they have figured out what your card must be. That is no problem. That is what the game is about! But all too often it is the first hand in the game, nobody could possibly know who has what, someone plays a Guard against me and guesses "Priest" and they got lucky, so I am out of the round. Without having done anything.

Then of course I have to sit there and wait. On some Love Letter games this will be a short wait. But I have definitely seen games where a round took 10+ minutes. All while I am sitting on the sidelines twiddling my thumbs because of bad luck.

I don't know what exactly could be done to fix this. But it is very frustrating. Does anyone else feel the same way??
I think this can be a general issue in the original 4 player version. Typically people will guess baron, prince or handmaid on round 1 (sometimes even the princess). While the 4 player is a great introduction to the game after playing the 2019 version (Not on BGA) and the premium version (on BGA with 5 or more) I'd almost never go back to the original. While there are more guards there are also new cards and values that really mix up the dynamic in both.

Also based on your problem I think you would really like the assassin on the premium version.

Return to “Love Letter”