Game IS broken ... Player wins in 2 moves!!!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs

Game IS broken ... Player wins in 2 moves!!!

Post by 47878478645674 »

Also posted on "code inspection" thread, proof that the random number generator IS BROKEN ... this player won in TWO moves. As you can see, there was nothing I could do about it, they went first and well, that was that.

----------------------------------------------------

The end of the game: Poxe-le-terrible wins!
Replay the game

Poxe-le-terrible wins column 8
Poxe-le-terrible wins column 7
Poxe-le-terrible chooses to stop
Poxe-le-terrible progresses on column 7
Poxe-le-terrible progresses on column 5
Poxe-le-terrible progresses on column 8
Pastor Flapps is unable to continue and loses any progress made this turn!
Pastor Flapps progresses on column 7
10:39
Pastor Flapps progresses on column 8
Pastor Flapps progresses on column 5

Poxe-le-terrible wins column 6
Poxe-le-terrible chooses to stop
Poxe-le-terrible progresses on column 6
10:38
aesche

Re: Game IS broken ... Player wins in 2 moves!!!

Post by aesche »

The only thing that is broken here is that you still are allowed to spam the forum every day.
RicardoRix wrote: 21 May 2020, 12:02 17 shakes on 6,7,8 to progress = (0.92) ^ 17 = 24%
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

At first I didn't want to post here, because from what I saw on the other thread (Is the code available to review?), I don't think you will read it or think about it. But maybe some other users will read this thread and not the other one, so I'll just say two things:
  1. ONE game will NEVER prove anything about randomness. NEVER EVER. And even the few games you mentioned on the other thread are nothing compared to the 600,000 games played in the last three weeks. Of course there are unbelievable things that happen in 600,000 games. The only way to have strong suspicions is to look at a big number of games (and not chosen ones), and to compare how often a precise event happens and how often it should happen.
  2. Of course, it's ok to say that something looks suspicious, and to ask if other players have noticed the same. If a lot of players do, then maybe something is wrong. But since in the other thread you mentioned some of your games, saying that something was wrong, and then other users computed the probabilities and said that it was not unlikely at all, I doubt that many people will continue forever to compute probabilities for each of your posts.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

I really, really like Can't Stop. I think it's one of the best push your luck type of game out there. Before BGA, in real-life I liked it so much that I wrote a computer program to help analyse the various strategies, playing them against each other and other stuff. Some people have even published papers about the subject, there is something about the Rule 28 which is an interesting read.

BUT.. playing on BGA slightly spoilt my appreciation for the game because the 'luck factor' and it too often spoils the game for one reason or another. Now I play for fun with friends and still enjoy it, but competitively I think you have to have a different mind-set to me in order to account for the fact that luck will play such an influence on any given single game.

It's still a great game, but you need to appreciate it for what it is.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Have a look at this guy:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=13118
I have finished 6-7-8 in one go several times.

Also done the same on other different other combos (4-8-10 and various others).

All in my game history.

Cheers,
M.
aesche

Post by aesche »

RicardoRix wrote: 21 May 2020, 12:35 BUT.. playing on BGA slightly spoilt my appreciation for the game because the 'luck factor' and it too often spoils the game for one reason or another. Now I play for fun with friends and still enjoy it, but competitively I think you have to have a different mind-set to me in order to account for the fact that luck will play such an influence on any given single game.
Exactly my opinion too. I found that playing tournaments adds the required additional competition/motivation. They usually are done relatively quick, it‘s ok if you drop out early, and otherwise you might get some XP.

What I don‘t get is why the OP, obviously not able to stand the luck at all, still does nothing else but playing Can‘t Stop all day, more than 100 games since the other thread started. Dude, there are hundreds of other games on BGA, and many of them involve zero luck. We gladly can play some together if you like :)
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Aesche, he's a pastor. As a religious figure, he feels he must preach his view of the world regardless of what the scientific community has to say. Many people will stop listening to him, but there may be the odd person out there who will become a follower.
SluggerBaloney

Post by SluggerBaloney »

Deleted
Last edited by SluggerBaloney on 12 January 2024, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

SluggerBaloney wrote: 21 May 2020, 15:57 You have a religious belief that anything done on computers is perfect.
SluggerBaloney wrote: 20 May 2020, 18:18 Don't put words in my mouth and then criticize me for them. That is antagonistic and shifting the discussion towards attacking the person rather than discussing the topic. Please don't do that.
Also, I just responded to the difference between pseudo random numbers and true random numbers in the other thread. Let's keep it there, please.
SluggerBaloney

Post by SluggerBaloney »

Deleted
Last edited by SluggerBaloney on 12 January 2024, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Can't Stop”