Proposal: Karma

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
J 1 G L

Proposal: Karma

Post by J 1 G L »

As a premium member, I am dismayed that there is no way to filter out experienced vs inexperienced players. I'm sick of games where people put down multiple farmer meeples prior to having less than 100 tiles to go, and don't think that leaving these games should impact karma. Players that do this make the game hell for the rest of us, bc it locks them up and then they start doing the following as well:

Additionally, there is no way to leave a game vs an opponent who is abusive with their tile placements without negatively affecting karma. As far as I am concerned, that is kingmaking, and should be treated as such.

This is a major flaw of this platform's treatment of this game. I'm half inclIned to ask for a prorated refund of my membership, as Carcassonne is the only game I'm here for, and wish to play with people that are actually interested in playing the game in a cooperative manner - AS IT WAS INTENDED.
Fellula

Re: Proposal: Karma

Post by Fellula »

I agree.
For instance I just start playing this game yesterday, so there is much I dont know.
Maybe we have played today and maybe you get annoyed by me (I'm sorry if this was the case!!)
And is unfair!
I think that when you start a game, this plataform should ask your expertise.
Lets hope they add something like this soon!!
nairobiny

Post by nairobiny »

JIGL JIGL wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:05 As a premium member, I am dismayed that there is no way to filter out experienced vs inexperienced players. I'm sick of games where people put down multiple farmer meeples prior to having less than 100 tiles to go, and don't think that leaving these games should impact karma. Players that do this make the game hell for the rest of us, bc it locks them up and then they start doing the following as well:

Additionally, there is no way to leave a game vs an opponent who is abusive with their tile placements without negatively affecting karma. As far as I am concerned, that is kingmaking, and should be treated as such.

This is a major flaw of this platform's treatment of this game. I'm half inclIned to ask for a prorated refund of my membership, as Carcassonne is the only game I'm here for, and wish to play with people that are actually interested in playing the game in a cooperative manner - AS IT WAS INTENDED.
When you create a new table, you can restrict the access to players of a certain level. What other functionality did you need?
AnnaMagestix

Post by AnnaMagestix »

I am a relative beginner at Carcassonne but I love it for its creative aspects and also get slightly annoyed when people are too competitive (stealing nearly completed major cities for the trade goods for example). Let's play a game sometime. However I should warn you, I do like claiming farms (but I avoid putting down multiple meeples till later)!
J 1 G L

Post by J 1 G L »

nairobiny wrote: 28 May 2020, 22:20
JIGL JIGL wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:05 As a premium member, I am dismayed that there is no way to filter out experienced vs inexperienced players. I'm sick of games where people put down multiple farmer meeples prior to having less than 100 tiles to go, and don't think that leaving these games should impact karma. Players that do this make the game hell for the rest of us, bc it locks them up and then they start doing the following as well:

When you create a new table, you can restrict the access to players of a certain level. What other functionality did you need?
My post is about two issues, and unfortunately, the options for restricting level is not sufficient, as it is only based on karma in the first place! (Not skill level). I need to be able to leave a game that is abusive without it impacting my karma.

For example, I just left a game where my opponent decided to start throwing city-center tiles on me, while having over double my score, with only 10 tiles left. It's stupid, and abusive, and this site should have some way of accommodating this - for all of us.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

JIGL JIGL wrote: 30 May 2020, 06:52 ... and unfortunately, the options for restricting level is not sufficient, as it is only based on karma in the first place! (Not skill level).
The restriction settings are by more than karma. They are by skill level (Beginners, Apprentices, Average players, Good players, Strong players, Experts, Masters) and even by group. They can all be mixed, too. So, for example, you could restrict a table to be players in your friends list who are good, strong or expert players who have a karma of better than 80.
nairobiny

Post by nairobiny »

JIGL JIGL wrote: 30 May 2020, 06:52 My post is about two issues, and unfortunately, the options for restricting level is not sufficient, as it is only based on karma in the first place! (Not skill level). I need to be able to leave a game that is abusive without it impacting my karma.

For example, I just left a game where my opponent decided to start throwing city-center tiles on me, while having over double my score, with only 10 tiles left. It's stupid, and abusive, and this site should have some way of accommodating this - for all of us.
I've had a look through the replay of what I think is the game in question. Dumping a cathedral on your opponent is a very standard play when you're using the Inns and Cathedrals tiles. It's not really abusive and it's definitely not stupid.

If you don't want other players to do this sort of thing to you, you should probably avoid the Inns and Cathedrals tiles. And if you want to play a friendly game where players are nice to each other without playing what you consider to be spoiler moves, you could try playing in Training mode where things should be less cut-throat.

Return to “Carcassonne”