Most popular games on BGA?

General discussion on board games
Rachyrules

Most popular games on BGA?

Post by Rachyrules »

I keep wanting to try a new board game, reading the rules of one/watching the video explanation, but then when I actually go to play it there is no available tables.

What are some of the most popular games on BGA, where there is regularly an available table? I've played most of the "casual/easier" games now and looking to try something slightly more complex.

Thank you
Fabien9000

Re: Most popular games on BGA?

Post by Fabien9000 »

A lot of heavier games are played turn-based (Clans of Caledonia, Russian Railroads, Puerto Rico, to mention the ones I know).
Try to set up your plays as turn based, not real time. Then wait for others to join (or join one of the already available games in waiting mode)

Or add players you played against as friends and invite them for a game.

Hope this helps.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

If you go to the "games" tab, it has a category of most popular games.

Also, if you go to your games in progress page (https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress or click the table next to your avatar), at the bottom is a list of all active tables. You can use that to judge how popular a game is.
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

Rachyrules wrote: 08 June 2020, 08:38 What are some of the most popular games on BGA, where there is regularly an available table? I've played most of the "casual/easier" games now and looking to try something slightly more complex.
If you're looking for something slightly more complex in the most popular games here, I would suggest stone age and race for the galaxy. Russian railroads and clans of caledonia are a step further.
Rachyrules

Post by Rachyrules »

Thank you for all the helpful advice!!
Jono7z

Post by Jono7z »

Fabien9000 wrote: 08 June 2020, 13:10 A lot of heavier games are played turn-based (Clans of Caledonia, Russian Railroads, Puerto Rico, to mention the ones I know).
Try to set up your plays as turn based, not real time. Then wait for others to join (or join one of the already available games in waiting mode)

Or add players you played against as friends and invite them for a game.

Hope this helps.
Not true. You can play all of those games real-time, it just depends on the time of day you login. The best time is in the evening of Pacific Day Time' https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/pdt
Fabien9000

Post by Fabien9000 »

Maybe I wasn't clear... I never said you can't play those games real time. I should have written: "some games are often played turn-based" :)

If I look at the current statistics for instance:

Game Real-time Turn-based
Clans of Caledonia 5 700
Tzolk'in 8 618
Russian Railroads 5 618
Teotihuacan 2 620
onabreak

Post by onabreak »

https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress - doesn't seem to list the most popular games in progress anymore. Is there a page that shows this? I often find new games by what's popular atm.
cigma

Post by cigma »

You can list all games according to their popularity by sorting them: https://boardgamearena.com/gamelist?all ... ity%3Adesc
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)

Return to “Discuss about board games”