Not winning any points despite winning the game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ceedee_on_hols

Re: Not winning any points despite winning the game

Post by ceedee_on_hols »

GreenP55 wrote: 19 January 2022, 02:38 I am having the same problem now while trying to get from Diamond into Elite league, after six or seven wins in a row i'm still in Diamond and a couple of those wins earned o (zero) league 'pips'. This is happening when I'm playing people with similar ELO scores so I jut don't get it.... will i ever get out of Diamond!!???
I'm having exactly the same issue - even when players are MUCH higher ranked than me.
ceedee_on_hols

Post by ceedee_on_hols »

I have exactly this issue - even when the players are higher ranked than me. what's going on?
aesche

Post by aesche »

aesche wrote: 15 June 2020, 22:46 Too much difference between yours and theirs arena league to let you advance in the arena tier rating. In the background you get some arena-„ELO“, but you can‘t see that as long as you don‘t make it to elite.
In arena your / their regular ELO does not matter, only the current arena tier.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

Jest Phulin wrote: 02 October 2021, 00:22 Have you tried clicking on the little gear by the game in arena mode, and changing your settings to only be matched with people close to your ranking?
This earlier post in the current thread was never commented on and is therefore overlooked. But it contains the (not widely known) only solution:

In Arena you can choose for yourself from which League tiers your opponents come from. Choose Arena mode and click on the gear symbol that is beside the game you want to play. You can then choose to select, i.e., never to play with players too far from your own League. As soon as you reach Gold League this is mandatory to avoid winning games without Arena rewards.
GreenP55

Post by GreenP55 »

euklid314 wrote: 28 October 2022, 14:12
Jest Phulin wrote: 02 October 2021, 00:22 Have you tried clicking on the little gear by the game in arena mode, and changing your settings to only be matched with people close to your ranking?
This earlier post in the current thread was never commented on and is therefore overlooked. But it contains the (not widely known) only solution:

In Arena you can choose for yourself from which League tiers your opponents come from. Choose Arena mode and click on the gear symbol that is beside the game you want to play. You can then choose to select, i.e., never to play with players too far from your own League. As soon as you reach Gold League this is mandatory to avoid winning games without Arena rewards.
ohhhhhhhhhhh, i'm not convinced that's a good process. We accept the dice algorithm is random so when good strategy loses to luck the higher ELO gets smashed. Now we learn a high ELO is an impediment to achieving Elite status at the start of each season unless you avoid playing people with low ELOs... i cant think of any player (high or low ELO) that would be in favour of that. The computer pairs the players and it's Arena mode - winners should be rewarded if not for winning then for ay least putting their ranking at risk. Background tinkering with who you play should not be mandatory.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

aesche wrote: 28 October 2022, 08:39
aesche wrote: 15 June 2020, 22:46 Too much difference between yours and theirs arena league to let you advance in the arena tier rating. In the background you get some arena-„ELO“, but you can‘t see that as long as you don‘t make it to elite.
In Arena the only thing that matters for scoring is the "Arena Elo", which is not the same as regular Elo, it's a value aproximately ranging between 1200 and 2200 that you can see once you become Elite. The whole stuff of leagues and "shields" is just a stupid cover used in many games to let newbies have a "positive" sense of progression instead of starting from a 1500 Elo and progressively losing it (and because at start Elo might have great fluctuations, so the score wouldn't matter much), but in the background the system is actually aready calculating your "Arena Elo" score to evaluate you as a player and be ready to show a coherent value once you reach Elite.
GreenP55 wrote: 16 March 2023, 09:14 ohhhhhhhhhhh, i'm not convinced that's a good process. We accept the dice algorithm is random so when good strategy loses to luck the higher ELO gets smashed. Now we learn a high ELO is an impediment to achieving Elite status at the start of each season unless you avoid playing people with low ELOs... i cant think of any player (high or low ELO) that would be in favour of that. The computer pairs the players and it's Arena mode - winners should be rewarded if not for winning then for ay least putting their ranking at risk. Background tinkering with who you play should not be mandatory.
Hmm I'm afraid you didn't get the point, high (non-arena) Elo is not at all an impediment to achieve Elite
WiAiC

Post by WiAiC »

aesche wrote: 28 October 2022, 08:39
If ELO does not matter, how come I lose more ELO to opponents who have much lower ELO than me, and lose lesser ELO to opponents who have higher ELO than me? Even if their Arena ranking is near mine, equal or +-1.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

It doesn't matter for Arena matching and for Arena progress. ELO is still changed normally according to current ELO values, but it doesn't affect Arena.

Return to “Can't Stop”