Magic Maze is in Alpha!

Future games in need of testing and feedback
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
octalc0de

Magic Maze is in Alpha!

Post by octalc0de »

As you already may know, Magic Maze, a real-time fully-cooperative game that was nominated for the Spiel des Jahres in 2017, is now available in alpha!

You can access it via the reviewer interface https://boardgamearena.com/reviewer?game=magicmaze or ask me to add your username to the 'Magic Maze players' group. I encourage also the filing of feature requests and bugs at https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=1209 .

The game transitioned to the 'alpha' status a bit ago, but I've held off on announcing it before the interface became a bit more stable. Thank you to the contributors who have already played it and given feedback about the interface!

The one-player variant of the game does not implement the solo game rules -- it is just the multiplayer game where you can do all of the actions. Even with this superpower, it is somewhat difficult to get through and get everything done. :lol: Feel free to play around in that sandbox environment as much as you'd like.

I highly recommend you use voice chat to play this game with others, as time is of the essence. There is a green grid around the screen to remind you when you are allowed to talk by the game rules. It is also a bit difficult to play this game on a phone or a tablet, even though it is possible -- the small screen size makes it hard to see the entire game board, and this game really does sprawl! Suggestions to improve this experience will of course be taken into mind.
Prithvi

Re: Magic Maze is in Alpha!

Post by Prithvi »

Does the physical board game requires that the characters be moved one step at a time?

Is it possible to implement "Click to select and place the character on the board"? I understand it is not possible to do it from one point to the last, but at least in the same direction would be great.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

interesting game, enjoyed my first couple plays. thoughts to improve after a couple solo plays.

would it be possible to make escalators clickable like the vortex?
seems easier to click on the board for stuff versus in the corner.

same with the ability to explore a new room.

clicking on a character and clicking a destination cell (along an orthogonally legal (or up/down an escalator) path would be useful....instead of having to click 5 times to move a person north 5 spaces. I wouldn't allow multiple direction movements at once as a big part of the game is remembering your abilities (for multiplayer)

adding zoom functionality would be useful (would be nice to zoom out on my laptop to see more of the board at once).
Adding a 'homing' functionality might be useful...in order to re-center the board on a specific character. I realize in the actual game you have to locate the pawns yourself, but feel this is trivial on the table as they are 3D and more challenging on here with the need to scroll (while the exits and weapons may not be quite as easy on a table so I'd say only re-center around a character as most useful).

Adding a count for how many cards are left in the deck (unless I missed it somewhere).

I was gonna suggest having the timer flash to help you indicate remaining time, but after considering it that doesn't seem true to the game, there is no warning the sand timer is about to run out...so leaving it the way it is seems best :-P
Saxmaam

Post by Saxmaam »

Oh, I'm really excited for this!
yoyote

Post by yoyote »

Thanks a lot !
I hope this post will bring some robbers, it's often pretty hard to find a game or some players :)
octalc0de

Post by octalc0de »

Would shift-click = go as far as possible in one direction work for people? It's not very tablet accessible though, and I also don't want to interfere with the game chat which is currently taking control of the keyboard. Or would "double-click/double-tap = go as far as possible" be preferable?
yoyote

Post by yoyote »

When I click on a meeple, every squares where I can bring him are colored. And when I click on one of them, the meeple is moved to it, only if the meeple has not been moved before.
Edit : in real life, if I take a meeple to move it, nobody can take it too. So we ca can imagine a kind of reservation when I click on it, which is finished when I click again or when I move it
Prithvi

Post by Prithvi »

octalc0de wrote: 27 June 2020, 06:06 Would shift-click = go as far as possible in one direction work for people? It's not very tablet accessible though, and I also don't want to interfere with the game chat which is currently taking control of the keyboard. Or would "double-click/double-tap = go as far as possible" be preferable?
How about click to pick and another click on the destination to drop?
Minot

Post by Minot »

Excited to see this fantastic coop being introduced to BGA!

We are a group of 4 friends in real life and have been gaming together for a long time. It will be great if we can be included in this alpha testing!

IDs:
Minot
Tarmagu
Marco0927
popner
octalc0de

Post by octalc0de »

I've added the shift-click = move as far as possible as a hidden feature. Let me know how it works.

Return to “"Alpha" games”