Quantum update

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Idsky

Quantum update

Post by Idsky »

If there are any *easy* changes you want to Quantum, now is a good time to ask. I'm mostly working on the UI / graphics. I don't want to break anything. Anyone want to volunteer to test changes? I think you'd need to create your own account on https://studio.boardgamearena.com/

Total img folder file size is smaller than before despite now having @3x graphics! A tiny 3.1MB.

The biggest thing is readable cards and being able to see the nice art. I've also added some extras like showing possible moves (where you can move to and which ships you can click on). In the shot below, you can see that the selected 2 ship can pick up the 4 or move to any of the spaces with a metal dot.

Screenshot (from unzoomed HD/retina screen, open it in a new window to see it properly).
I'm adding support for other large screens.
The mouseover shows the cards in detail even on low-res screens and mobile apps can pinch-zoom to see them.

http://zebo.org/quantum_update.png
Last edited by Idsky on 24 June 2020, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
Ratburntro44

Re: Quantum update

Post by Ratburntro44 »

Will it be possible to play without the realistic dice?
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

What is it you don't like — the slight transparency or the rounded corners? I guess I could add a 'boring dice' preference option if it's more than just 1 person who dislikes the new dice. I'd still need to make new hi-res boring dice to match the new assets but that would take less time than adding the option. I wanted it to look just like the real board game.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

The new dice are harder on the eyes.
Zulu Kane

Post by Zulu Kane »

The new dice are pretty. I'd consider reducing their transparency a little. On the blue dice pictured, my aging eyes have some slight difficulty distinguishing the white dots on the surface from those showing through the transparent die. I imagine this may be more difficult for folks with worse vision and/or looking at a crappier or smaller display than I have.

Just my first impression, based on a quick look at your screen capture. And I'm assuming the graphic was created in an app that can easily adjust this.
Zulu Kane

Post by Zulu Kane »

I like the clean background in your screen shot. Is that part of the redesign? Or just your own custom CSS?
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

The brushed metal background is part of the update. I haven't seen anything saying the yellowish wood default background on BGA is required and it didn't go well with the sci fi theme and quantum map colours.

The dice were created from photos of a real Quantum board game die but I can photoshop them a lot and improve the contrast. The blue was the worst, especially in the scrapyard, as it was the original photo colour and not colourised as much as the others. Needs to look good on dark map background and light player board.

How's this change? I want everyone to enjoy my changes though I imaging a few might say "I LOVED the fuzzy lo-res look and unreadable cards from before" so I'll aim for pleasing most people!

Last edited by Idsky on 25 June 2020, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
somewhereluca

Post by somewhereluca »

Hi idsky,
Thanks for the work you're putting into this! I like the new dice, but can understand that they might not be easy to read for others. I also like the idea of seeing where a ship can move through these metallic dots altdough it could be argued that thinking of all the possible ways of moving your ships is part of the game. There is one thing that bothers me and that you could maybe address. Some command cards like dangerous or righteous are extremely strong. Especially in a small two player map that is almost a guaranteed win, which is annying. I've read in BGG that some just play without that card or just have a gentlemens agreement at tye start of the game not to use that card should it come up. I am doing that here on BGA when i play with friends. Do you think it could be possible to change the game in such a way, that when you are setting it up you can choose to play without these cards? What does anyone else thinks about this? Cheers!
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

Where you can move was kind-of already there (current app shows a die in possible move locations if you wave your mouse around -- I sometimes do this to save counting squares!). I'm just adding a visual where there was only a 'hover' effect before. Makes it easier for touch devices that don't have hover.

I did ask about 'Dangerous' here: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 05&t=16354
But some people hate playing against Righteous just as much as you say, or Stubborn. Or how about Eager? Or disallowing the Eager+Stealthy combo? I think there are a lot of overpowered cards and combos which is why the game isn't recommended for 2 players. You certainly have to play differently depending on what power cards others get (if they have Righteous, don't give them any easy targets and somehow still get cubes fast!). Sometimes fishing for a sabotage is about your only option.

If I did provide an option for limiting cards in the deck it would need to have quite a lot of checkboxes I think. Anyone else want to comment on that? I think I'll update other stuff before considering this.

Note: Now you can read the card images, my graphics had the updated Relocation rule (not limited to same/smaller-size planet) and so I have updated the help text and game code to match that, taking away one constraint check.
Zulu Kane

Post by Zulu Kane »

The revised blue die is much easier to read.

I am (perhaps overly) excited to be rid of the faux-wood background, without needing to edit my own custom CSS.

Return to “Quantum”