Quantum update

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Ratburntro44

Re: Quantum update

Post by Ratburntro44 »

galehar wrote: 27 June 2020, 23:06
Ratburntro44 wrote: 27 June 2020, 19:34
I don't understand this. It seems more likely to me that it would usually have to do with personal preference for level of control than for the specific game situation
So, you'd personally prefer to have to confirm each time to have more control?
Does anyone have ever encountered the situation where you wanted to lose a fight or is it just a theoretical thing?
It certainly never happened to me in hundreds of games.
I don't have enough memory of specific games to pull out a particular example. I've had thoughts about it for a while but can't remember if they originated from a game or just contemplation. I tried to look through my game history for an example but BGA seems to have limits on looking at replays and I am currently blocked from replaying any games at all.

But yes, I would personally prefer to confirm each time. At best maybe there could be rules like "manually check for an attack if the opponent has Stubborn, manually check for a defense if you have Eager, Stealthy, Righteous, Clever, Curious, Tactical, or Stubborn", but even that wouldn't quite cover every edge case.
galehar

Post by galehar »

Idsky wrote: 28 June 2020, 07:052P Arena: I think the Arena config is something the BGA admins set up. We could ask. Or we could all agree to look for arena games at the same time!
I am currently discussing Arena mode for RFTG with the admins. I'm slipping a word about Quantum while I'm at it. Next season starts July the 7th. Would it be possible for you to do the 6/7 cube map option really soon so that it can be chosen for the next season? Thanks.
Grumbletweezer

Post by Grumbletweezer »

I'd love it if the game map would stay up longer at the end - give players a chance to discuss it.

Edit: Sorry - just seen there's a button that does that.
Last edited by Grumbletweezer on 13 July 2020, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Ratburntro44

Post by Ratburntro44 »

galehar wrote: 29 June 2020, 10:04
Idsky wrote: 28 June 2020, 07:052P Arena: I think the Arena config is something the BGA admins set up. We could ask. Or we could all agree to look for arena games at the same time!
I am currently discussing Arena mode for RFTG with the admins. I'm slipping a word about Quantum while I'm at it. Next season starts July the 7th. Would it be possible for you to do the 6/7 cube map option really soon so that it can be chosen for the next season? Thanks.
Arena for Quantum seems to be completely borked now because the map setting was left on 4 player maps even though the player count as changed to 2
Een

Post by Een »

Ratburntro44 wrote: 06 July 2020, 17:07
galehar wrote: 29 June 2020, 10:04
Arena for Quantum seems to be completely borked now because the map setting was left on 4 player maps even though the player count as changed to 2
Thanks, fixed now.
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

vdude wrote: 26 June 2020, 16:01 Hi I have one thing I've noticed that I'm curious if other players have come across. When reconfiguring from one number to another and then doing it a second time, I always get the original number. Is that just me? I don't even reconfigure a dice a second time anymore.
Not just you. While it doesn't ALWAYS happen, it happened more than the expected 20% of the time in my testing. I've switched to a new more-random PHP random function in the studio dev version. random_int(): for "where unbiased results are critical, such as when shuffling a deck of cards for a poker game."

I've also tested that scrappy is working correctly with reconfigure.
Rerolling a reconfigure cannot get the original ship number, but can get the same as your first roll.
vdude

Post by vdude »

Thanks.
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

So the update is ready to go live!

I can't do that myself as yet as I don't have the admin rights, so I emailed Emmanuel.

The "Big UI Upgrade" includes:
- Improved @3x graphics resolution.
- Hi-res readable cards are shown in card tooltip and table cards can be read with HD / large screens or pinch-zoom.
- Map and card UI Scales up (or down) to use available screen space. Allows bigger maps.
- New dice based on real Quantum board game dice.
- Brushed Metal background to match the game sci fi theme.
- Selects planet tiles pseudo-randomly based on table ID to use all the tiles more often.
- Some animation speed-ups.
- Available move positions are marked (information previously available with mouse-hover for those on desktop)
- Improved ship tooltip.
- Fixed PHP warnings at firstReconfigure state
- Changed rand() function to random_int() for better randomness
- Map previews in map option description on table setup
- Extra unofficial map options (off by default)
- Random 6 or 7 cube option
- Empty Deck reshuffle notifications.
galehar

Post by galehar »

Thanks that's awesome!
Changed rand() function to random_int() for better randomness
Shouldn't you be using bga_rand() instead? That's what the studio doc recommends. Also, for map choice, I see that array_rand() is used, and I wonder about the efficiency of that random function. When playing 2P 7 cube maps, I feel like I'm very often getting Terra minor. Is it just me?
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

galehar wrote: 16 July 2020, 18:59
Changed rand() function to random_int() for better randomness
Shouldn't you be using bga_rand() instead? That's what the studio doc recommends. Also, for map choice, I see that array_rand() is used, and I wonder about the efficiency of that random function. When playing 2P 7 cube maps, I feel like I'm very often getting Terra minor. Is it just me?
Good catch, I don't know why the Quantum code still had rand(). Fixing this.
Emmanuel and I are in the final stages of sorting out the table options (it will be much tidier than before! No silly deadlock errors when you try to change player count *and* the chosen map for starters).

Return to “Quantum”