How do you know when it is your last turn?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Rooster6975

How do you know when it is your last turn?

Post by Rooster6975 »

Twice now I have had sufficient resources to complete a Wonder, but decided I would hold off for one more turn in order to build more Military. Both times, the game suddenly ended. When I play on the iOS app, there is big banner which comes up and says, "This is your last turn!" so you know you must complete any Wonders you have else you will not score any points. How can I tell if it is my last turn while playing on BGA?
Greg42

Re: How do you know when it is your last turn?

Post by Greg42 »

Hi!
Pay attention to the log, it will tell you when new era begins and also when the last turn begins.
When the deck of cards for the last era is over the end of the game is activated, If it activates during the first player turn, then you are playing the last turn, else there is one more turn for everyone.
hope that helps!
(sorry for my english)
Trev

Post by Trev »

Every player plays at least one Age 4 turn.

If the deck is exhausted at the beginning of the first player's turn, then this is the last round. Visually the card row is incomplete for the first player and Age 4 has commenced at the beginning of the first player's turn.

In all other circumstances you finish the current round and the game concludes with one more round.
baghdad

Post by baghdad »

I feel like this area of the UI should be buffed up to visually tell you when the last round and the next to last round have commenced. Similar to Yokohama.
CanuckEddie

Post by CanuckEddie »

How is the first player indicated in the interface?

I've been looking but have failed to spot it yet.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

CanuckEddie wrote: 02 March 2021, 18:03 How is the first player indicated in the interface?

I've been looking but have failed to spot it yet.
Just above their Agriculture/Bronze cards, at the left of the name of the person.
It should be:

NAME (first player)
Agriculture / Bronze / Philosophy / Religion / Warrior
Despotism / Leader / Cube bank
CanuckEddie

Post by CanuckEddie »

....that is unnecessarily subtle
EhrenG

Post by EhrenG »

I've had this very same problem many times, and have joined the forums precisely to point this out. The last turn has snuck up on me numerous times, and I think it could be easily fixed. One way is to more obviously highlight who the first player is. Another is to make the banner telling you it's the last turn much bigger, bolder, and colorful, as well as make it last the entirety of your last turn (I've had problems where it vanishes after a brief moment, and I forget during the turn). Also, the mention in the chat could be separated from the surrounding notices, and again colored to make it stand out. My preference would be to make all three changes.

When exactly the last turn takes place is essential and game-changing. A mistake there can easily single-handedly decide the whole game. I appeal to the developers to make this moment impossible to miss, and borderline annoyingly obvious. Considering how many games I've both lost and won because either me or my opponent missed when the last turn was, I'd say it would be much appreciated by the TTA community.
Hockeydad16K

Post by Hockeydad16K »

I have a different question about last turn.

Is there a timer as well? I was playing the other night with my nephew and the game ended near the end of Age II, not Age IV.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

Hockeydad16K wrote: 22 March 2021, 07:12 I have a different question about last turn.

Is there a timer as well? I was playing the other night with my nephew and the game ended near the end of Age II, not Age IV.
You were playing the "tutorial" variant (I think it is called "First game only" or "Handbook version" depending on your language). Which is a pacific 2 ages game. Make sure to select the "Complete game" option when starting a game if you want to play the full game.

Return to “Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization”