Is Conceding Allowable Etiquette?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Meeplelowda

Is Conceding Allowable Etiquette?

Post by Meeplelowda »

When playing chess, if you resign when your opponent has mate in 1 no one would accuse you of being a poor sport because you didn't "finish." But this very thing happened to me in Hive. My opponent had two ways to win on the next move and I had no way to stop both. My opponent said "gg." I said "gg." So we both recognized the game state. I conceded and then got the message "really? finish the game."

Is their some weird Hive etiquette at work where you have to play out every move of the game?
ringersoll

Re: Is Conceding Allowable Etiquette?

Post by ringersoll »

I don't see why anyone would complain about the opponent resigning in this situation.
But what I do if my opponent has mate in 1 and I can commit suicide and end the game... then I do it.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

There have been a few discussions site-wide (not just with Hive) about the etiquette of conceding. The general feeling is that there are some people who prefer others concede as soon as possible, so no time is wasted. There are others that prefer that others play out the entire game so that they can get in the winning move. IE, you won't be able to please everyone.

There is the feeling, though, that playing from a guaranteed losing position for several moves and then conceding on the last move is not sporting. It takes no more time to make a null move than it does clicking concede, so might as well let them enjoy the victory move. Without knowing the previous moves, I can't say if this was the situation or not.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Jest Phulin wrote: 12 July 2020, 23:23 There have been a few discussions site-wide (not just with Hive) about the etiquette of conceding. The general feeling is that there are some people who prefer others concede as soon as possible, so no time is wasted. There are others that prefer that others play out the entire game so that they can get in the winning move. IE, you won't be able to please everyone.

There is the feeling, though, that playing from a guaranteed losing position for several moves and then conceding on the last move is not sporting. It takes no more time to make a null move than it does clicking concede, so might as well let them enjoy the victory move. Without knowing the previous moves, I can't say if this was the situation or not.
I've only played 3 games total, so I wouldn't have recognized that it was a losing position before the point when I did. But I've played thousands of games of chess, and never have I seen someone complain that they were not allowed to make the final checkmate. To the contrary, it is widely viewed as rude if you don't concede (resign) in an obviously lost position, e.g. Queen and Rook vs. no material with no time pressure. So this "finishing move" obsession seems funny to me.
ypaul

Post by ypaul »

I can see this being an issue for some of the other games that aren’t pure strategy, because luck of draw/die can sometimes change things. For games like Hive though, I think that it’s more elegant to concede in a lost (but not just losing) position. Maybe they just thought that you still had some counterplay, and when you concede, all the calculation that they’ve done in anticipation for that is naught.

When playing Gomoku or Connect6 where I’m not allowed to concede, I sometimes just make my move on the edge of the board as an acknowledgement of my loss.

Edit: well if both of you had said gg, I think it’s probably expected that you’d concede right after that so eh
Heidi_73

Post by Heidi_73 »

Why complement yourself with 'Good game', and not wait on congratulations ?
Only moment it's a compliment to say Good game is when someone makes it difficult or impossible to score during the game. Never congrats to yourself with great game afterwards.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Meeplelowda wrote: 12 July 2020, 00:28When playing chess, if you resign when your opponent has mate in 1 no one would accuse you of being a poor sport because you didn't "finish."
I do not agree with that.
Meeplelowda wrote: 12 July 2020, 00:28But this very thing happened to me in Hive. My opponent had two ways to win on the next move and I had no way to stop both. My opponent said "gg." I said "gg." So we both recognized the game state. I conceded and then got the message "really? finish the game."

Is their some weird Hive etiquette at work where you have to play out every move of the game?
You can’t pretend to find the uses of Chess when you play other games.
When your opponent wins the next turn on a BGA site game, whatever you do, conceding the game will always take longer than playing any move.
So for your opponent, you’re "the guy who loses because he wants to", not the guy who admits defeat. Do not be surprised that he refuses to play with you after this!
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

diamant wrote: 14 August 2020, 17:31 When your opponent wins the next turn on a BGA site game, whatever you do, conceding the game will always take longer than playing any move.
What do you mean? Conceding immediately ends the game.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

N_Faker wrote: 14 August 2020, 18:00
diamant wrote: 14 August 2020, 17:31 When your opponent wins the next turn on a BGA site game, whatever you do, conceding the game will always take longer than playing any move.
The time it takes to click on a piece and move it to a valid (highlighted) location when you are used to using the interface is generally less than the time required to open the game menu and locate the concede option. Unless you concede a lot :)
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Jest Phulin wrote: 14 August 2020, 18:49
N_Faker wrote: 14 August 2020, 18:00
The time it takes to click on a piece and move it to a valid (highlighted) location when you are used to using the interface is generally less than the time required to open the game menu and locate the concede option. Unless you concede a lot :)
Well, I suppose that is applicable if the last turn of the game is the conceding player's turn and if it only involves a single move.

Return to “Hive”