Quantum is updated!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Idsky

Quantum is updated!

Post by Idsky »

- @3x graphics resolution (but same file size!)
- Hi-res readable cards are shown in card tooltip and table cards can be read with HD / large screens or pinch-zoom
- Map and card UI Scales up (or down) to use available screen space. Allows bigger maps
- New dice based on real Quantum board game dice
- Selects planet tiles pseudo-randomly based on table ID, to use all the tiles more often
- Some animation speed-ups
- Available move positions are marked (information previously available with mouse-hover for those on desktop)
- Improved ship tooltip
- Brushed Metal background to match the game sci fi theme
- Changed rand() function to bga_rand() for better randomness
- Empty Deck reshuffle notifications
- Map previews in map option description on table setup
- Ability to change map and player number on table setup without error messages popping up!
- Community contributed New Maps (at the bottom of the map list and optionally included with Random Advanced Map options)
- Random 6 or 7 cube option
- Avoids PHP warnings at first reroll
- Relocation card can now move another player’s cube to any size planet without one of their cubes (updated rule to match Revised Edition and new card graphics)

Here's a nice catalog of all the maps: http://zebo.org/quantum/maps.html
Ratburntro44

Re: Quantum is updated!

Post by Ratburntro44 »

It doesn't seem to be putting one set of cards to the side and one below anymore, which means I have to make my window a lot larger to be able to see the entire game at once.
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

If you have the screen space, isn't making the window larger a good idea so you can appreciate the HD graphics?
With the scaling of cards and board, and the option of vertical stacking of the 2 sets of cards, I decided those options covered all situations well enough and removed the 1-vertical + 1-horizontal-below option. If desktop users have a small portrait window it displays like on mobile. Maybe send a screenshot so I can see which map you are on and window size?
TheRealWVMan

Post by TheRealWVMan »

Finally got someone to play me today. :) It really looks great. You have done really good work on this. The only thing I don't like is the highlight on the dice for the active player. But I'm sure I'll get use to it. Also, I really like the fact that you have changed the random number algorithm. The old one was very bad. Hopefully, we will see a big improvement there. Time will tell. :)
Ratburntro44

Post by Ratburntro44 »

Idsky wrote: 22 July 2020, 03:00 If you have the screen space, isn't making the window larger a good idea so you can appreciate the HD graphics?
With the scaling of cards and board, and the option of vertical stacking of the 2 sets of cards, I decided those options covered all situations well enough and removed the 1-vertical + 1-horizontal-below option. If desktop users have a small portrait window it displays like on mobile. Maybe send a screenshot so I can see which map you are on and window size?
It's not a huge issue, I just want to make sure things are noted in case they're unexpected side effects or such. I'd personally rather be capable of seeing in the entire game in the smallest size where that's possible so that I can use the rest of my screen space for something else, but it's not a serious problem to expand the window when I need to.

This is a comparison on one map, I don't know how it might be affected by other maps. It's around 7.5% wider to get everything on the new version.
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

Fair enough that you're used to the exact size of the old interface.
You could shrink your window more vertically with the new one, but it's not going to be identical.
galehar

Post by galehar »

That's great, thanks.
I was a bit surprised with the Arena options. Community maps are included and big maps excluded. I was really expecting to see the opposite. Especially since community maps barely got any testing, it doesn't seem appropriate to use them in a competitive setting.
Ratburntro44

Post by Ratburntro44 »

I'm not sure where you're seeing that. When I look at the arena settings, it says the options are to exclude both
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

galehar wrote: 24 July 2020, 14:47 That's great, thanks.
I was a bit surprised with the Arena options. Community maps are included and big maps excluded. I was really expecting to see the opposite. Especially since community maps barely got any testing, it doesn't seem appropriate to use them in a competitive setting.
Arena should be random 6 or 7 cubes (as requested!) and no community or huge maps. There are no huge 2p maps anyhow. I guess huge could be okay, I'm just aware that some phone users might find huge maps too annoying on the small screen so they are off by default on arena and random maps.
Neitokun

Post by Neitokun »

Absolutely love the updates! Thanks so much for making my favorite game even better.

Return to “Quantum”