Quantum is updated!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
pakfront

Re: Quantum is updated!

Post by pakfront »

Great update! Our iPad Quantum-fans are happy they can read the cards and that the click-for-details help works. Our laptop players like the new look and compact formatting. I hope some other problematic games like Libertalia get similar updates.
imbroglio

Post by imbroglio »

Can you explain the difference between rand() and bga_rand()? Should we expect any functional changes to card draws, dice rolls, etc.?

Also, just wanted to clarify that this is referring to a purely cosmetic change:
Selects planet tiles pseudo-randomly based on table ID, to use all the tiles more often
Presumably this is just to better distribute the planet tile art, with no functional impact?

Thanks for the update; sounds great!
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

imbroglio wrote: 25 July 2020, 18:08 Can you explain the difference between rand() and bga_rand()? Should we expect any functional changes to card draws, dice rolls, etc.?

Also, just wanted to clarify that this is referring to a purely cosmetic change:
Selects planet tiles pseudo-randomly based on table ID, to use all the tiles more often
Presumably this is just to better distribute the planet tile art, with no functional impact?

Thanks for the update; sounds great!
I had comments that some people didn't bother reconfiguring more than once because it often repeated numbers. I did a little testing and the old rand() function did indeed seem to have some weird patterns, coming up with recent die roll numbers more often than it should. "bga_rand" is meant to be the best/most random function available on the bga servers and all games are meant to use it. So your dice rolls will be more random. Extra luckiness not guaranteed! Internally it may just be using the PHP function random_int, I don't know. Card shuffling hasn't changed.

Yes, the second part is purely cosmetic. Previously, if a map had 3 '7' planets for example, the game code would always use the first three '7'-tile map art images. So you'd never see the 8th '7' planet art unless a map had 8 '7' planets (same with 8s, the four 9 tiles and the four 10s). Now you'll get to see all of the planet images! I use the table ID as a seed-value to pick these tiles. That way, the tiles stay the same for a given game, but are different for every new game, without the need for a new database field.
overdhump

Post by overdhump »

Loving the confirmation dialog for selecting cards! Thanks!
Acacia

Post by Acacia »

This is excellent work, thank you so much.

Feature request / suggestion - if there is one complaint I hear about Quantum it is that a few tough rolls on the d6 can determine the game partway through (especially in a 2 player match when you can't mob the leader). Would you consider a rules variant that replaces the combat dice with two custom d12: 1-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-5-5-6

This models the quasi-bell curve you get from rolling two dice but keeps the scale in line with the 1-6 base value for ships. A similar concept works very well in Cyclades by threading the RNG needle - there is still the excitement, variation, and a real chance of upset during combat, but dice rolls are a *little* more dependable which shifts emphasis back toward tactics and strategy.

I'm not a developer, but I imagine this is a smaller lift than other modifications, and it would be nice to have a on/off toggle for those who want the chaotic, straightline probability of a d6 and those who want to emphasize positioning and politics.
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

Murp wrote: 10 August 2020, 15:20 This is excellent work, thank you so much.

Feature request / suggestion - if there is one complaint I hear about Quantum it is that a few tough rolls on the d6 can determine the game partway through (especially in a 2 player match when you can't mob the leader). Would you consider a rules variant that replaces the combat dice with two custom d12: 1-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-5-5-6
Your thanks is appreciated!
2 player can get unlucky on cards or rolls, though I don't mind personally, I always try to come back against the odds.
Interesting idea but on BGA we need to stick to matching the board game rules, the licensing agreements don't allow for making up new rules for a board game even if it's optional.
imbroglio

Post by imbroglio »

Any plans to add a confirmation to Resourceful? It's quite easy to hit accidentally, as it stands
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

imbroglio wrote: 10 August 2020, 18:47 Any plans to add a confirmation to Resourceful? It's quite easy to hit accidentally, as it stands
There are now. Added it to my list.
Ratburntro44

Post by Ratburntro44 »

I don't know for sure if game stats fall under what you control, but this bug also exists (it may be worth checking if other stats work correctly as well). For another example, this is from a specific game where I know for sure that I used strikes and the numbers regarding attacks and strikes clearly don't add up correctly: Image
Hopkins

Post by Hopkins »

Thanks for the updates. Fabulous!

Return to “Quantum”