Lieing as prisonner

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Romain672

Lieing as prisonner

Post by Romain672 »

Hi,
So I know the game is still on beta, but I already got one conflict about that important point, so I want to already create a strategic post.
So I talk only about suspiscious mode.

When you see a new room, you have 5 possibilities: green, orange, red, blue or nothing.
A begginner player can tell the color of the room, and it's fine, it work nicely.

But where it became interresting is when you said the wrong color to make your teammates do the right things.
Per example, early on, the pivoting room (orange)(=you can only move or look in one direction), it let one player going to it without causing any arm. So, if another green room is seen, you have no risk about saying this room is green. Someone will goes into it, and he will be fine since he can still see the next tile.
Another example, the mirror room (orange) make one player lost his second action and his adrenaline token. It's a tile you want the other to go but not yourself. It's still positif for the team, but better if you lead someone else to it. This room, you should tell it's green, at least if you except someone to move on his second action. (that's the optimal strategy, be ready do be accused as guard because you penalised another player :D)
Another example, the Shredder room (red)(=if someone leave it, the second person to enter is killed). This specific room is without danger if someone enter it while thinking it's orange (or green), because it require other player to anticipate the danger on this one to enter+leave. So telling orange is good.
There is some other (telling blue turn 1), but I will not goes too deep for the moment.

Some people will not be agree I suppose, but it will be the kind of people who wants a simple game, without lie. But adding this part of the game it's so much more interresting in strategy. And it's fun.
If you have some argument against this strategy, I really want to read them :D

But please. Lieing =/= Guard. At least.
Some lie are way more suspscious than other, and on these lie, yes you can highly suspect someone to be a guard. But don't take a shortcut for it.
Last edited by Romain672 on 30 July 2020, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew764567

Re: Lieing as prisonner

Post by Andrew764567 »

This does work... but only if everyone else also understands this strategy. If others aren't aware of this strategy it mainly just makes you look suspicious. When I saw this strategy the first time, people thought Romain672 was a guard until the real guards started trying to kill people. This could help in real life but not online with a group of strangers.

A good alternative is to go into it yourself. When I'm a prisoner and i see a red room that doesn't kill instantly i will call it red, then enter as one of my actions.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Andrew764567 wrote: 27 July 2020, 22:20 A good alternative is to go into it yourself. When I'm a prisoner and i see a red room that doesn't kill instantly i will call it red, then enter as one of my actions.
I agree, but even there, I tend to said yellow, for telling to the team i'm going there.
Sometimes (rarely yes) you just can't though***.

But yeah, what I said here is (for me) the optimal strategy.
But when playing with randoms players, it seem best to not lie for maximise the win of the actual game. But not to maximise it if you play a lot with them.

Funny enough, I try to avoid it when I'm a guard, because I know it increase suspscions.

For me:
- green=more than one player can goes there
- yellow=one player can goes there, with a small drawback
- red=danger, do not go here without knowing what it is
- blue=blue for the moment
So I don't respect the actual color. Of course, it's way more complicated than that (lieing first turn while having no green can make people move and... It could be not good)(or lieing with a chance to not be resolved soon can be annoying), but it's my global idea about the colors.

My goal with this post is to show there is some strategy involving lie, so make people being careful about them. Not to force people to do the same :p

***I got a game where I saw a shredder room, but I was playing first. It's really annoying for me to goes to that room cause I'm last in second turn. So that mean, I either tell it's red, and it have a chance to never be seen (which is bad), or tell yellow and it increase suspcions on myself (which is bad), or I goes into it with a possibility to die (which is bad).
So it just became a choice of the best thing between these three bad things.
And if people are (for me) clever, (for me) there is no doubt.

Another real example? I'm two away from the exit. Three player tell the room between is red. But I want to goes here. Since it's red I just don't go there and use 4 step instead of 2.
I really would have like the third person to tell me it's orange even if it's a shredder room (red), for make me take that shortcut.
nairobiny

Post by nairobiny »

I sense players are a little uncertain just how much communication they can do outside the modes of communication supplied by the game. In one of my recent games, a player was in the Jamming Room, so used the chat box to talk to other players. They got shouted at... probably correctly.

But I think players can otherwise say whatever they want in chat. Whether they want to do so in Suspicion mode is another matter entirely.

Return to “Room 25”