Variant Gameplay Options

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
DCPhoenix

Variant Gameplay Options

Post by DCPhoenix »

Hi All,
I've been a member of BGA for about 4 months and I can safely say it's the top website for me, my wife and our friends during this pandemic. One fun fact to share is that because of how much my wife loved Can't Stop, I bought the actual game for her, so we can play in person. I think the best discovery is the dice luck on BGA really does reflect the luck of the dice in person, so great job there!

An interesting thing is on the rule sheet, there are 4 additional gameplay options available, which I think some would make great additions to the Can't Stop experience on BGA. I'll list 3 of them below (the 4th isn't feasible in a digital format) and share my thoughts, but let me know what you think of these and if they should be added as well.

Variant 1 - Win by 4 or 5
You must win 4 number columns (in a three player game) or 5 number columns (in a two player game) in order to win the game.

Variant 2 - Can't Stop on the Same Spot
Players may not stop voluntarily if one or more of the counters are on a square already occupied by an opponent's cone. In this situation you must keep on rolling in an effort to move your counter off of your opponent's cone.

Variant 3 - Leap Frog Rule
For a faster game, when a runner is entered or moved forward, it can never be placed onto another player's marker. Instead, it must pass over the opponent's cones and onto the first vacant square available.

Out of these, I think the win by 4/5 variant is one that I would love to see added to give new gameplay options, especially in a 2-player game as they seem to feel unbalanced and be super lucky in the first turn. I think the second variant could add an interesting dynamic as you have to gamble on being one step ahead or lose progresss. The Leap Frog I feel would be more ideal to friends, but give how some players can have good luck with their rolls, this might be the more frustrating of the 3 and would turn people away from playing.

But overall, I think having the extra option to win more columns would be great for games with lesser players. What do you think?
LeftSpin

Re: Variant Gameplay Options

Post by LeftSpin »

I'd like to see variant 2, not stopping on the same spot. This makes 2 player games a lot more fun. 4 player games take too long.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Edit-----
Ugh. Missed the part where you stated these were from the rules sheet. My bad. I have a knee-jerk reaction to make a post asking about publisher approval whenever I see suggestions to change rules.

Please ignore my post, which is kept below for posterity.
---------end edit

Are these variants approved by the publisher?

BGA cannot simply change rules on a whim. The licenses they have require the digital adaptation to be as close to the rules of a physical game as possible. Otherwise, they are taking the intellectual property of someone else and distributing it for their own benefit.

If these variants are approved by the publisher, please provide a link to that approval.
Last edited by Jest Phulin on 11 December 2020, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
nccc

Post by nccc »

Its good ideas!
But ,said by above, u cant just simply add them, even i would like it to happen.
FT3

Post by FT3 »

Yeah, I agree that variants one and two sound like interesting ideas that I’d like to see implemented.

Out of curiosity what is the 4th variant?
voriki

Post by voriki »

FT3 wrote: 17 December 2020, 22:23 Out of curiosity what is the 4th variant?
A strip variant he can only play with his wife? (jk)
FT3

Post by FT3 »

I’m glad you clarified that was a joke! 😂
DCPhoenix

Post by DCPhoenix »

voriki wrote: 18 December 2020, 13:26
FT3 wrote: 17 December 2020, 22:23 Out of curiosity what is the 4th variant?
That's actually what is it... :lol:

In actuality, I pulled up the sheet and Variant 4 is:
For a faster game, when a runner is entered or moved forward, it can never be placed onto another player's cone. Instead, it must pass over opponent's cones and onto the first vacant square possible.

I don't think that one would be as popular here, which was why I didn't originally include it.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Sounds fun to have those variants here. Thanks for sharing.
FT3

Post by FT3 »

DCPhoenix wrote: 18 January 2021, 20:35 [quote=voriki post_id=74865 time=<a href="tel:1608294373" target="_parent">1608294373</a> user_id=951547]
[quote=FT3 post_id=74825 time=<a href="tel:1608240182" target="_parent">1608240182</a> user_id=939141]
Out of curiosity what is the 4th variant?
[/quote]

That's actually what is it... :lol:

In actuality, I pulled up the sheet and Variant 4 is:
For a faster game, when a runner is entered or moved forward, it can never be placed onto another player's cone. Instead, it must pass over opponent's cones and onto the first vacant square possible.

I don't think that one would be as popular here, which was why I didn't originally include it.
[/quote]

This sounds like variant three from your earlier post?

Return to “Can't Stop”